New Amplifier

Participant count
  • Participant list
Orion is not one to look at for efficiency. Didn't they drop to like 50% on the dyno?

The Zaps are a good choice. I've seen a few stories of those being DOA but Trumpet will take care of you.

Regulated power supply and effecient don't belong in the same sentence.

Current generation Orion are getting good reviews but IMO largely untested, the brand overall has had a rocky past shifting between top end and pretty poor. Zapco has a solid track record of high quality and good design, though again, I'm not sure about their newer entry level price tier, up until quite recently their whole catalog was premium quality/price.
Looks like I will be saving up for a Zapco after my first few things for my car.

Orion is not one to look at for efficiency. Didn't they drop to like 50% on the dyno?The Zaps are a good choice. I've seen a few stories of those being DOA but Trumpet will take care of you.

Sweet, looks like I am looking into Zapco. I guess it can be an amp that will last me a long long time.

Also, messaged Michael singer for ideas on an alt. Apparently he also does monthly installment plans! So, a new alt might not be that far out of there!

Run the amp clean and you won't need to spend $500 on an alternator.
Would you say the ST-1000XM or the 1350? Current 2 subs at 500 watts rms total at 4 ohms. I feel as if the 1350 would be better to run it "clean" being that I only have a DMM to set the gain. How about a Alphard sounds Machete M2000D

Last edited by a moderator:
Zed amps are very efficient. Not sure who else even makes them these days so I can't say about others.

Looks like I will be saving up for a Zapco after my first few things for my car.

Sweet, looks like I am looking into Zapco. I guess it can be an amp that will last me a long long time.

Also, messaged Michael singer for ideas on an alt. Apparently he also does monthly installment plans! So, a new alt might not be that far out of there!
I don't think you'd regret Zapco. No reason at all for you to need a big alternator for 1300W either.

Would you say the ST-1000XM or the 1350? Current 2 subs at 500 watts rms total at 4 ohms. I feel as if the 1350 would be better to run it "clean" being that I only have a DMM to set the gain. How about a Alphard sounds Machete M2000D
2000W you'll need to start adding an additional battery or upgrading alternator. Can't vouch for Alphard apart from nobody is complaining and they seem to use a reputable build house.

Zed amps are very efficient. Not sure who else even makes them these days so I can't say about others.

I don't think you'd regret Zapco. No reason at all for you to need a big alternator for 1300W either.

2000W you'll need to start adding an additional battery or upgrading alternator. Can't vouch for Alphard apart from nobody is complaining and they seem to use a reputable build house.
Ahh, well, I wouldn't be pushing 2000 watts for a bit, but maybe having 2k isn't necessary. I feel like I would probably be happy with just 1k rms.Currently doing 300, so even my weak subs are underpowered... lol

I might even do the JL 500/1 for now, and save completely for the sub, box, and amp at once, that way I am not just sitting around with a piece in my place, collecting dust.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.