New Amp/Sub installation

Participant count
  • Participant list

JohnCU
10+ year member

Clemson
I finally got my amp installed today. My amp is a Pioneer Premier 220 (or whatever the smallest 120w model is). Had some problems at first, like I hooked up the turn-on thing to the blue power antenna lead, but that didn't work, so I tried this orange wire called dimmer and it finally came to life. The sub didn't sound all that loud when it was on the ground (not in the car) so I messed with the gain a little bit and stuff and it got a little better but the sub still don't sound loud at all. It's a Pioneer 10" W254C. (bridged on amp).

However, the sub kinda...flutters? Like, not a good beat. The speaker is vibrating/fluttering kinda. There is a little air coming out around the sub (q-logic box). Is this the cause of the fluttering? What can I do?

Also, the system as a whole doesn't sound as loud as it used to, perhaps because I drove home without my backseat in (4-door sedan). I'll put them back in tomorrow and try..

Air coming out of the box is not a good thing, and is probably the cause of your problem....where exactly is it coming out of?

The remote wire didnt work on your power antenna lead because the power antenna is off when a CD is playing....it should be hooked up to the remote turn on lead from your HU.

The air is coming out around the edge where the sub is screwed in and I'm a little confused about what you said about the turn-on lead. When I pulled out the radio (Pioneer DEH-2300), the blue wire from the wiring harness was conneced to the radio. I disconnected them and hooked the amp turn on to the blue power antenna lead coming from the wiring harness... that didn't work so I used the orange dimmer line instead...

Your HU should have a separate wire that isnt connected to anything (usually blue or blue/white), this is the remote turn on lead that turns an accesory power source on whenever the HU goes on.

As far as the subs - try rotating it around a little bit and drilling new holes, drill pilot holes that are smaller than the actual screw, then screw it in as tight as possible. If that doesnt work, try T-nuts.

Okay well I just went outside and turned it on and felt for air and there is a lot of air coming out at the top and bottom of the thing but not on the sides. I didn't drill holes the first time I put this in, I put two rolls of foam on the sub and 1 roll of foam on the q-ring thing (btw, where can i buy more foam rolls?).

Okay, so I hook up the amp to the blue wire coming from the HU, not the one coming from the car...what would be the hurt in leaving the orange one on there?

I'm not sure what kind of foam youre looking for, but any Arts/Crafts/Fabric store should have what you're looking for....

As far as leaving it on the orange wire - I suppose there's no harm in it as long as you fuse it....although I've never seen/done anything like that before, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.