New Amp, Stuck In protect Mode! Red Light!

670eddie
10+ year member

Well I bought this amp Brand new, and it only starts in protect mode. I have 3 foot 0 AWG ground Wire. with Gold plated mounting Tabs

and I also Have a 0 AWG power wire with Gold Plates, I have Monster Cable RCA wires I have a All Gold plated fuse and Block All of These Wires Are DB link. good stuff. I have my fuse within 18" of the battery, I have my Ground mounted on the Floor pan that was sanded to bare metal and Mounted with a Bolt n Nut. With a meter i am reading 13- 14+ volts are the Amp terminals. The only thing I can think of Is bad ground??? With the Meter Set to ohms and the red probe on the amp G. terminal and the black prob to the Chassis G. point ( bare metal) It reads 01.1 ohms. With meter in DCV and the black Probe on the Amp G. terminal, red on the Chassis Ground point it Reads 00.3v/00.4v if anyone Can help that would be Great. thanks!

Amp = brand new MTX thunder x 2000w(1000rm) mono block

What is the meter reading across the speakers you have it hooked into for resistance...or do you have the speakers tied in yet...it could be that the resistance is to low across the speakers and the amp isn't stable at that ohm load...throwing it into protect

did you take those readings with the amp triggered on? if not, do so, also, check your meter zero, and thuroughly inspect all the connections. could be something simple as heat-shrink sealant oozed onto connection point.....

Yes i did the readings with the Amp and car running. I just made the Ground the other day. new spot because my old amp was only 1200w and i used a seat bolt. that is why i just made the new ground. in Ohms my meter zero's at 0.04 ohms. all the connections are good. if there is bad one It could Be ground. my ground Is secured with a 10mm bolt n nut with lock washer its mounted just above the rear wheel well

well, eliminate the sub and power it up without anything attatched to the speaker terminals. if it still does it, let it sit disconnected from the power/ground for a while, and then short a small jumper across the power/ground terminals for a bit, then remove the jumper, and power it up again. if it does not start working, call for a doa warranty. you are feeding it good enough power that it should at least work and power up just fine.

To Sex4ears Its an 12" SXX 2000w(1000rms)

Ok everyone This Amp is the 2nd one Iv got now. The First One was the Same Way Only Started in protect mode. It was the exact same amp. And I did exchange it under warranty this is the One I got. im having trouble believing that I would get the Same amp lemoned-Out Twice. That is why i think its the Wiring!

Just to clarify with everyone. iv Only Tried to power this amp with the Power wires(power, Rem, Ground) on it!. Iv never hooked up any subs too it!

Wiring looks like it should be fine, do you have any smaller amps or a friend with an amp to hook up and test? With all this info, it sounds like the amp is bad. But that is weird the first one did the same thing...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.