New amp keeps cutting out.

Brewster84

So I am basically new to car audio. A few weeks ago I was running a 1000w Crunch amp with a cap and using a 12" shallow Kicker sub off my stock deck. I never had any issues but wanted to upgrade my system. I bought a Pioneer AVH 8500, a 1800w Kenwood class D amp and two 12" Memphis shallow subs. Now when I turn my music up, (only about halfway) my subs start to cut out. I turned the bass down by it still happens. I noticed that the amps light dims to bass. Any way to stop this?

So I am basically new to car audio. A few weeks ago I was running a 1000w Crunch amp with a cap and using a 12" shallow Kicker sub off my stock deck. I never had any issues but wanted to upgrade my system. I bought a Pioneer AVH 8500, a 1800w Kenwood class D amp and two 12" Memphis shallow subs. Now when I turn my music up, (only about halfway) my subs start to cut out. I turned the bass down by it still happens. I noticed that the amps light dims to bass. Any way to stop this?
Bad ground.
That was my first thought. Where is it grounded?

Bad ground.
That was my first thought. Where is it grounded?

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

Dang phone. Been double posting all day.

do you have a cap on this amp also? not necessarily a bad ground because he just said it wasn't doing it with the other amp. Could have the gained turned up too high or your car might not have enough power to power the amp at high volumes since you said the lights dim to the bass.

do you have a cap on this amp also? not necessarily a bad ground because he just said it wasn't doing it with the other amp. Could have the gained turned up too high or your car might not have enough power to power the amp at high volumes since you said the lights dim to the bass.
reread, he could have loosened a ground either within the ring terminal or at the bolt that holds it. His power wire may be too small for the higher wattage amp

Check your ground just as VWGolfMKVI and others have said. That would be my first area. Then make sure your RCAs are firmly seated in the amplifier, don't want anything loose.

Thanks for the help everyone. It was the ground wire. The installers moved it from it's original position and didn't scrap off the paint. I fixed it and so far no problems.

Thanks for the help everyone. It was the ground wire. The installers moved it from it's original position and didn't scrap off the paint. I fixed it and so far no problems.
cool i was gonna say drive down to me and i'll diagnose the issue ,also do you have the big 3 ,you need it ,and like said ,ditch the cap ,they are useless

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.