New alt

Participant count
  • Participant list

351mustang65
10+ year member

MO
Ok, so a few days ago I got a Kinetik KHC1800 pretty cheap but was questioning putting it in on a stock alt. Well today that in no longer necessarily an issue because my alt just happened to crap out (I know the time is crazy). Anyway I don't know much about alt's and just want to see if I could get a basic run down on the yes and no/up and downs of doing/buying this.

I don't want to spend crazy money and I saw this one but like I said I don't know ish about these.

DB Electrical - ALTERNATOR HIGH OUTPUT 220 Amp 4.6L CROWN VIC 99 2000 & TOWN CAR

The SUV is my old 2004 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4.6 V8.

Basics of the setup is 3 12's on a 1250 watt class d monoblock amp ran on KNU 4GA.

I know it's done all the time but my understanding was it was bad to run a stock alt to charge two bats and kind of pointless.

I know i am not pushing a crazy amount of power but that could always change and even right now my lights dim pretty bad.

Also unless there is some big downsides to doing this upgrade that i don't know about why not do it? I am the type that when something breaks I replace it with something bigger better and stronger.

I know it's done all the time but my understanding was it was bad to run a stock alt two charge to bats and kind of pointless.
I know i am not pushing a crazy amount of power but that could always change and even right now my lights dim pretty bad.

Also unless there is some big downsides to doing this upgrade that i don't know about why not do it? I am the type that when something breaks I replace it with something bigger better and stronger.
The Db electrical alt isn't as good as they say some get lucky. But most do not Better to go with a respected alt company rather than a stock alt with a smaller pulley and crappy cs

Trust me I get that. I was just hoping for closer to 300 seeing as I also need to buy a new double din HU plus the stuff to hook up the new bat and send my subs off for a rebuild or get new ones.

Then in the back of my head I keep telling myself to sell this SUV and get something different... Decisions decisions....

02-04 MERCURY Mountaineer 240a High Output Alternator - Mechman Alternators
This one doesn't seem to bad although it's probably more then I will need and a little more then I would like to spend.
Either go with the stock or for the mechman 240A. Most people who buy H/O alts go above 200. What's the point of a brand name (Mechman, singer, DC) and buying anything under 200? That's why there's no such thing. With two batteries and only 1250w your stock alt should be fine. Since it's dead and if you ever plan to upgrade, get the 240A alt now and in the future you'll be glad you did. You NEVER have too much electrical.

The Db electrical alt isn't as good as they say some get lucky. But most do not Better to go with a respected alt company rather than a stock alt with a smaller pulley and crappy cs
i thought the same thing until i went to a show yesterday guy was running 2 agm batts and a db elc alt running a dc 5k and stayed in the mid 13s at idle they may not last long but it got the job done

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

351mustang65

10+ year member
351mustang65
MO
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from