New 5 channel Amp at 4 or 2 ohm

Participant count
  • Participant list

JFossTheBoss
10+ year member

I was looking at the Alpine PDX-V9 and it shows the same output, 500wrms x 1 + 100wrms x 4, for both 2 ohms and 4 ohms. If this is the case would I be better off running the sub at 2 or 4 ohms? Should I match that same impedance for the speakers or are they capable of still sending the correct power to the two different categories of channels.

I was also considering the Cadence ZRS-C8, or even doing a monoblock for the subwoofer and a 4 channel for the rest of the speakers. Any suggestions? I'm trying to keep the cost down as much as possible, but don't want to skimp now and have to pay more to upgrade later. I am looking for an amplifier first, then I will pick speakers around that (may be backwards, but 5 channels don't offer too many options).

I was looking at the Alpine PDX-V9 and it shows the same output, 500wrms x 1 + 100wrms x 4, for both 2 ohms and 4 ohms. If this is the case would I be better off running the sub at 2 or 4 ohms? Should I match that same impedance for the speakers or are they capable of still sending the correct power to the two different categories of channels.
I was also considering the Cadence ZRS-C8, or even doing a monoblock for the subwoofer and a 4 channel for the rest of the speakers. Any suggestions? I'm trying to keep the cost down as much as possible, but don't want to skimp now and have to pay more to upgrade later. I am looking for an amplifier first, then I will pick speakers around that (may be backwards, but 5 channels don't offer too many options).
Personally, I feel that is the smart thing to do. Decide what you are wanting your system to do, find an appropriate HU,find the amp(s) you like and go from there. How are you set with HU, x-overs etc? Again, personally, I prefer a Class AB/T 4ch mid/high and Class D bass monoblock set up, which I may be old fashioned like that...lol. Are you into strict sound reproduction quality, "basshead", or little bit of both? I like to distinguish the slap of a D string and feel the pluck of a low B string in my gut, myself, but I listen to dubstep too sometimes. I like it all.

I have read before in reviews that Alpine is simply being conservative with amplifier specs. They do provide more power running at 2ohms. If the amplifier does provide the 500watts at 4ohms, personally I would stick with the 4ohm setup as that should provide enough sound for my needs if I were to use something like Image Dynamics IDQ, Alpine Type-S or Dayton HO. 500watts is plenty to produce good bass, and the amplifier consumers less current running with 4ohm subwoofer. This is an important consideration for a lot of modern compact cars with weak alternators.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.