new 3 way, opinions and help please guys?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hey guys, first let me say happy new year!!!

This might be a bit long winded, but hopefully the right person will decide to read it all... let me apologize for that upfront...

So i decided to finally go 3 way, and as an xmas gift for myself, i purchased the powerbass 2xl-60c3 3 way set. powerbass comp set

Ive never ran a 3 way before, so Ive been reading like a madman trying to decide exactly what the best way to implement it into my vehicle will be, and ive broken down and decided to ask for yalls help, i know your better at this then i am!!!

So heres the comp set, if anyone wants to look it up:

Being honest, here are my goals in asking for help:

1. Placement for the mid/tweet (all door vs A pillar/dash pods)

2. Passive / Bi-amp Passive (cant run active yet, unless i get an external xover)

3. which of the 4 amps i currently own, should i use.

The car is a 1991 Honda Accord wagon. Ill be uploading pics of the doors/dash either later tonite or tomorrow...

Im leaning towards building pods, from pvc endcaps, as the threads on forums show and recomends, atleast for the tweet, and possibly for both mid and tweet. If i do build just tweet pods, Ill put the mid up high in the front of the door.

The xover that comes with the set, is bi-amp able... and im almost 100% sure this is the direction i will take, i have the amps to do it.

Eventually ill be upgrading both front stage and sub amps to a matched set of zapco, but i wanna give the amps i own a shot first. Theyve all earned a special place with me, one way or the other.

Also, i currently dont have any T/A or DSP ability, so that factors into the decision, ill prob go with the DC zapcos when funds allow...

So heres my amp situation...

Im currently running a set of 6.5 coax off the front channels of a lightning audio b4.320, parrallel with a set of 6x9s in boxes behind the back seat... View attachment 26551307The amp is rated at 80x4 @ 2 ohm, so the coax are seeing roughly 40 watts. I replaced a kicker 120.2 amp, and i must say ive been shocked at the volume and clarity of this little lightning audio amp, i definately noticed a difference. Its rated at 50x4 @ 4 and 80x4 @ 2. I honestly believe it does rated. (its from when rockford owned them)

So thats obviously the first option, ditch the 6x9s completely and run front to to the mids/tweets and back 2 channels to the midbass.

Im not sure what ohm load this crossover would give me at the bi-amp setting, it lists 3 ohm nominal in the standard passive setting...

I do however have several other options for amps...

I really want to run an old school fosgate 40DSM, i picked up off craigslist. View attachment 26551305Just because its super clean (was well taken care of) and i do have a soft spot for older gear...

its rated at 20x2 but they have been known to do closer to 50-60@4ohms x 2...

i also have an older fosgate 200.1 power series,which ive been considering running just the midbass off of, bi-amped passive parallel. (hope that makes sense)View attachment 26551306

and then running the mids /tweets stereo, bi amped, passive off the fosgate 40DSM.

I also have an older pioneer GM-4000f, in great shape. View attachment 26551308

Obviously ive got alot of options, and this is where you guys come into play... Please help me decide what is best, or atleast which combo to start with...

Obviously the easiest is to just hook up the set bi-amped passive to the lightning audio, as its already installed, but i do have distro blocks and wire for days, so swapping/installing a couple different amps isnt a problem...

Im running a couple polk momo 10s, ported, off an 400watt rms concept amp currently for sub duty, but also have a hertz hx300d in a ported box, that i may swap to... The polks are noticeably louder and better at hitting the midbass notes, atleast with the power i have available currently... but thats another thread all together!

Im leaning towards the following install:

Mids / tweets in custom built A pillar pods, midbass in stock lower front door location. Deleting the rear fill completely. Ran through the passive xover, from the fosgate 40DSM.

Midbass ran through the bi-amp option on the passive xover, then crossed high-pass somewhere between 80-125 off the HU, ran off either the Lightning audio bridged, (roughly 160x2) or from the fosgate power 200.1 ran parallel bridged. roughly 200 @ 2 ohm rated rms (obviously no left to right then, but would it be "cleaner power")

soooo... what would you do?

thanks for the PM, i might not have seen this thread otherwise.

2XL_60_3%20comps.png

that 3-way set uses a dome midrange - so you don't need an enclosure for it other than mounting. putting it in PVC caps would make a lot of sense. i would stack two caps - one for the tweeter and one for the mid. that way you can aim both at the same time. my tweeter sphere thread on CA.com is a good resource for mounting ideas.

the 6.5's will require some door modifications or kick pods.

a look at the owner's manual is needed

http://www.powerbassusa.com/sites/powerbassusa.com/files/2xl_3waycomponent_oman.pdf

the manual has recommendations for placement

powerbass3way.jpg

if you go with the doors, you just need to cut holes and use the mounting kits that come with the mid and tweeter. this will look the best but your soundstage may be too low. so it depends on what you're willing to sacrifice.

you do want to run the system as bi-amp.

use the RF 40DSM for the mids and tweets. you don't need onboard crossovers so this is a good fit.

use the Lightning Audio bridged to the woofers. use the HPF on the amp to protect from low bass.

oh, and here's some ideas for an Accord wagon //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

accordwagonrear.jpg

accordwagonkick.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.