New 2012 Build (SQ)

following the thread. looking really nice so far. When speaking with Arc did they give any ETA on their PS8? Last I heard was a "who knows when." Have a friend whos an Arc dealer down south. may call him today and see what he can dig up...

I live in Glenwood area. Moved up here last year and they are still having alot of oil workers getting laid off and relocating. Im in the Med field myself so not the same worries for me. If u thought GJ ****** u should try relocating to Miss for a spell then tell me how you feel.

Anyway keep the pics coming. enjoying watching.

following the thread. looking really nice so far. When speaking with Arc did they give any ETA on their PS8? Last I heard was a "who knows when." Have a friend whos an Arc dealer down south. may call him today and see what he can dig up...
I live in Glenwood area. Moved up here last year and they are still having alot of oil workers getting laid off and relocating. Im in the Med field myself so not the same worries for me. If u thought GJ ****** u should try relocating to Miss for a spell then tell me how you feel.

Anyway keep the pics coming. enjoying watching.
The people at ARC told me they were still gathering parts for production on the PS8 but I they didn't give me an approximate time. For the time being I'm running an MS-8.

Just got the center channel, subs, sub amp, distros, and new RCA's installed. I'm blown away by the output and the subs sound GREAT. I got a pretty good tune on it right now but I'll definitely be spending some time on my day off trying to make it sound even better.Tomorrow I'm gonna take it to the guys to finish up. They'll be adding fans, cleaning up the wiring, etc. After debating on placement for the large tweeters, I decided to go with fiberglassing them to the sail panels. Hopefully it works out.

Thanks. I wasn't sure how I'd like the 8's considering it's the first time I've used 8's but they sound really clean and I'm not missing the low end like I thought I would. I'll post some pics tomorrow or the day after. The amp rack and everything else should pretty much be done by then.

The tweeters will be the most challenging part to install and integrate with the car.

Ok the install is done for now. However, we're going to be building another amp rack with a complete false floor, fans, and more circulation. We didn't have enough room for fans and no location for them to push the hot air out. I was really pushing the system yesterday and didn't have any issues with the JL amps or MS-8 although they do get very hot. The Boston sub amp heats up pretty bad too since it's right against the seats behind the sub box, it also can be that it's wired down to 1.5ohms and it's a 2ohm stable amp. Plays fine for a good while but it does eventually shut off for a couple minutes if I'm really cranking on it (about 2 hours worth of playing it full tilt).

The subs sound AWESOME! Plenty of output and sound very clean doing it. The surprising part is that it looks like they can take more power before they reach peak excursion.

The tweeters were giving me the most trouble on this build because they were just too big. The stock locations on the doors were too small and they were to close in and didn't allow for good stage depth. The sail panels would've been nice but there was no room and fiberglassing them would've made them stick out too far. We decided to go with the a-pillar which I was pretty worried about because somehow the car doesn't allow you to take them completely off and I knew they'd be a pain to replace. Screw it, we did it anyway and they actually came out pretty decent. They don't sit as flush as I would've like but I'll be wrapping them soon which will definitely help with that. Really happy with the way the tweeters sound in that location.

The frontstage sounds excellent, if not for a slight ring that I have to eq out from the stock rear speakers, I'd say it's just about SQ competition ready and that was with only about an hours worth of tuning last night. Along with the new amp rack in the future I'll be replacing the rears with some better mids and sound deadening those locations as well. Overall, I'm very impressed with the system and at full tilt it doesn't drop below 12v.

Ryan has more pics of the actual build that he'll be posting up but here's the final layout of the system:

aefe2b9e-c54e-1a78.jpg

aefe2b9e-c571-e312.jpg

aefe2b9e-c594-9bb2.jpg

aefe2b9e-c5b6-ea15.jpg

aefe2b9e-c5d3-3162.jpg

aefe2b9e-c5f3-78db.jpg

aefe2b9e-c60d-6406.jpg

aefe2b9e-c62c-ce0c.jpg

aefe2b9e-c645-41d6.jpg

aefe2b9e-c65d-b01f.jpg

There was a holder for sunglasses that flips down and since I never use sunglasses I figured that would be the best location for the volt meter and that way I can flip it back up out of the way as well.

With some velcro I mounted the ms-8 screen in the little cubby hole near the center console. I put it in that location because it's out of the way enough, I'm always messing around with settings etc., and that way I have quick access to it and I'm still able to see the screen from a normal seated position. With some padded double sided tape, I mounted the remote right next to it. With the USB stick, Aux in coming from my Ipod for video, my cell phone charger, the MS-8 screen and remote, it's a little cluttery but it's not too bad, not enough to be an eye sore.

aefe2b9e-c7fe-adb3.jpg

aefe2b9e-c811-cb70.jpg

aefe2b9e-c828-bcc3.jpg

aefe2b9e-c83b-19fb.jpg

aefe2b9e-c868-5104.jpg

aefe2b9e-c8ee-7516.jpg

aefe2b9e-c909-f588.jpg

aefe2b9e-c922-24c1.jpg

aefe2b9e-c934-263e.jpg

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Here's a couple more pics and notes from Ryan the installer:

Alright, So this time around we focused more on the little things like cleaning up the wires and what not, so not as many pictures, we got the center mid in, the subs and gt2300 in and changed out the distribution blocks, got the door sealed off with some 1/8" mdf, ran the volt meter and the bass knob. unfortunately i was alone one day so was stressing to get it done so fast i forgot to take a lot of pictures, but my partner even split from moving into his new house to help me get it finished, hopefully he chimes in soon, i guess he cant figure out how to use the site.

Anyways onto the pictures!

IMAG1296 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

As you can see there was very little room to mount the center mid, just wasn't gonna happen.

IMAG1297 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

We figured the only way to get it in, was from the bottom!

IMAG1299 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

Made a baffle for it, we wanted to do it out of some 1/8" sheet metal but time wasn't on our side. So the 1/8" mdf will suffice, we were skeptical that it would flux too much, but it wasn't a problem! it looked cleaner when we got it flush but the stock screen was still hitting it, so we had to mount under the plastic trim.

IMAG1298 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

Subs went in, i must say unless you have patience do not get one of these amps, the bass knob is very cheezy and if you dont insert the bass knob perfect it bends the connectors inside and then you have to take the time to line them all back up perfect to get it to work.

IMAG1302 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

IMAG1300 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

IMAG1304 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

I spaced on pictures of the volt meter, bass knob, MS-8 screen and tweeters, but Lois got those so no big deal.

My thoughts on the setup:

I am by no means and SQ guy nor have i heard very many SQ setups, but i must say, Lois pieced this one together very well. I am beyond impressed with the way it sounds and how loud those 8's got, between the right equipment, the car itself, and the box built by Vitveet it sounds great. It sounds very solid outside of the car with very little to no rattling, and the front stage is crystal clear, i will be having Lois help me piece together a front stage because he built something very close to what i would like, not too harsh and just loud enough! Those mids in the doors are putting in work, and sound great doing it. We are very thankful we got to do the install even though the car put up a fight every step of the way (Lois got a taste if it yesterday) and we got to mess with some cool equipment. Also Lois hopped in yesterday to help get those tweets in which was real cool of him, seeing how it was like 90 degrees out and i was workin alone. Cool guy, and full of knowledge and very understanding, we scratched his tint, and he almost wouldn't let us replace it. Regardless of all the the cuts and swearing it was a fun build, and was well worth it. Hopefully he gets a video up soon.

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

I'll get some videos of the sub stage and frontstage playing when I get back from Las Vegas and get a car wash. For now, time to get drunk....

Just a little update, I had some hid lights put in for the foglights and I mounted the amp somewhere that I wouldn't have to constantly unscrew everything to add different subs or get to my amps/ms8.

IMAG0214 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

IMAG0216 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

IMAG0215 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

I know my foglights are a little different than the headlights but I guess due to the smaller housing in the foglights it changes the color up a little bit?

IMAG0217 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Alright I'm done messing around! I got a new 12", probably one of many 12's I'll be swapping in and out for. 12" BL w/ 4 inch voice coil will be the first to be installed.

I also really miss my 3way frontstage, main reason being the midbass impact from a dedicated 8" mid. I was thinking about putting a set of 6 1/2" drivers under the seats but I don't think I have enough room and I really don't want them to pull the soundstage back. So I've decided I'm going to a shop to have some 9" Morels fiberglassed into the doors or 8's if I don't have enough room. These are the 9's I was looking at: Speaker Building Supplies from Madisound

Hopefully I can get this all done within the next 2 months or so.

IMAG0242 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

IMAG0243 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

IMAG0246 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

I'm still baffled at how you essentially threw away a P99....

Other than that, great build. I had to install in my '09 Hyundai and I know what a hassle it is and how much they fight you every step of the way. My deepest sympathies are with you man. But it seems to be turning out really good! I don't know why you even bothered with the JL subs haha, I knew from the beginning those wouldn't last.

I'm still baffled at how you essentially threw away a P99....Other than that, great build. I had to install in my '09 Hyundai and I know what a hassle it is and how much they fight you every step of the way. My deepest sympathies are with you man. But it seems to be turning out really good! I don't know why you even bothered with the JL subs haha, I knew from the beginning those wouldn't last.
Honestly subs never last in my cars...lol. They sounded awesome and had decent output, they just didn't get loud enough or low enough for my personal tastes. I would've been happy running 3 of them though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.