New 2012 Build (SQ)

Man I couldnt have let myself... Go see if they still have it maybe... Its getting bigger and better every year but is still a lot the same lol
They probably sold it to someone who has no idea what it is for like $300.

Yeah, it's getting bigger. I know a few years back it got real bad when a lot of people lost their jobs on the oil rigs. A lot of my friends were working on them and ended up leaving Colorado after that.

Ok, finally got an update. I found a couple of local guys to install my equipment for much cheaper than the shop I was originally going to. The shop was a little shady and it scares me when I talk about active processing etc. and they just have a blank stare on their face. Anyways, these guys (Ryan and Chris) do really good work, so for anyone in San Diego that wants good quality work done for a good price, don't hesitate with these guys. They don't try to rush and half *** and they take care of it as if it's their own vehicle.

So on to the car. I only gave them a day and a half with my car and they had a set back when Ryan had to go to the hospital for stitches....whoops.

IMAG1211 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

I decided to go with the JBL MS-8 and hopefully I get better results this time around considering I'll be using all stock locations and will be running a center channel this time. Here's some of the gear that's going in:

IMAG1209 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

IMAG1208 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

Doors panels deadened. The bigger holes will be covered with mdf as well once they get the car back and run all the wiring.

IMAG1222 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

IMAG1219 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

Mids going in. Apparently it was a PITA to get them to fit, they had to add to the original mdf rings and the drivers side has a little less depth than the passenger side.

IMAG1233 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

IMAG1232 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

IMAG1237 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

Amp rack for the spare tire area.

IMAG1215 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

IMAG1214 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

IMAG1220 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

IMAG1234 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

I had them route the ipod cable which will also play video through the center console so I don't have cables in the way.

IMAG1225 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

IMAG1229 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

aefe2c5d-bda1-e3e6.jpg

Next time I drop off my car they'll be running the wiring, adding carpet to the amp rack, we're thinking about adding a plexiglass top to the amp rack w/ fans and led's, replacing the center channel which looks like it will also be a pain (SB Acoustics 4" equivalent to the ARC Black 4"), and a few other odds and ends.

aefe2c5d-bdbf-a961.jpg

aefe2c5d-bdd4-28a3.jpg

Tweeters do not fit in the a-pillars flush nor the factory OEM location so I'm thinking we're going to have to fiberglass them into the sail panels. Those panels would be much easier to replace than the pillars. Also, not too sure where to put the MS-8 screen yet.

aefe2c5d-c00f-a8f9.jpg

Looks really good. Curious to know if the 2x8's have enough output on the power you are giving.
Thats what I'm wondering, 1400wrms should be enough for the subs but if the output isn't there, I'll be going to either 3 sa-8s, 2 10-s, or a single 12 on 2000wrms.

Looks good so far. I really want to try the rf 360.3 let us know how that ms8 turns out
I decided to give the MS-8 one more try. 3sixty.3 will be next if I can't get the ms-8 to sound right.

Here's an update and some notes from my installer:

Got the car back on Tuesday, been putting up a fight still. I am beginning to believe this car was not meant to have any upgrades done to it, Seeing how the speakers are riveted in, the accordions in the door jam have zero space to run wire, and all the trim panels have no room behind them, but we are getting it done!

In order...

Gutted the car...

IMAG1256 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

IMAG1255 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

IMAG1260 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

IMAG1262 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

IMAG1259 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

We then began to extend the wire harness from the stock amp to the MS-8, unfortunately i made the ******* mistake of hacking the stock plug off, now instead of getting the signal from the amp, the MS-8 is wire directly to the speakers, now i gotta go get a new plug and fix that.... This was a reminder of why we work slower to make sure we don't make dumb mistakes like this... Fortunately this isnt a costly mistake, nor is it gonna put us back more than 20 or 30 mins, just gotta hope hyundai has them in stock, as soon as i finish my coffee im heading out to get one.

IMAG1257 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

IMAG1268 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

IMAG1273 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

IMAG1278 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

Started wiring the amp rack, this is just a "mock up" we are waiting on the actual distro's that will be getting used, had to make due with what we had to make sure everything would power up. The amp rack also needs to be carpeted and have the trim finished on it, you will see when its finished.

IMAG1270 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

IMAG1272 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

IMAG1271 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

IMAG1276 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

IMAG1277 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

The two rear speakers will be running off of the logic7 in the MS-8, (input 6 & 7) i didnt have too much trouble getting through the accordion on the back 3rd door.

IMAG1279 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

Stock plug tucked away.

IMAG1280 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

The vehicle is probably such a pain in the *** because it came with a decent upgraded stock stereo. I have two of these on the way.

spd514 by Beerdrnkr, on Flickr

I've been playing around with the tuning on the ms-8 and I'm really happy with the results. I currently only have the Arc mids, stock tweeters, and stock rears playing (no subs or center), and it sounds awesome! I can't quite get a perfect center image so I have to use the balance and move it over a little bit. Once the center mid is installed it will hopefully fix the problem. So far I'm really glad I gave the MS-8 another shot.

We will also be adding fans to the amp rack because the JLs and MS-8 are running pretty hot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.