needs opinions.

which headunit?

• Total voters

dkguitarist
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
ok guys. i have 2 offers on headunits so far. (that i want that is). both are $275 shipped. both are used and in good condition. one is eclipse 8454 i believe and the other is a p860mp. seeing as how i've had the 860mp before, i'm tempted to lean more towards that. however the pioneer would come with the ip-bus cable for auxilary input as well. how is visibility during daytime and bright days on the eclipse? how easy are the menus to navigate and is it pretty user friendly? imo the 860mp was very user friendly.

don't know the specs of the pioneer but i'm pretty sure dollar for dollar the pioneer can't beat eclipse. the 8454 has a 10 band PEQ, attenuation of each individual speaker all the way down to -30db, 8v preout and 55 ohm input impedance, 24bit DAC.

it takes a while to learn the eclipse but after getting used to navigating through the menus. i have no problems at all with my HU.

i've personally used the pioneer and it worked well. it was very easy to navigate and get used to. plus it was pretty bright at night. anyways here's the specs on it. http://www.pioneer-online.net/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4041_64496601_tab=B,00.html?compName=PNA_ProductDetailComponent

also, i HATE the fact that eclipse hus do not have detachable faceplates. that's what really turns me off of them.

i have a great offer on one. idk. i kinda wanna wait til the new premier lines come out as well. but at the same time i don't wanna wait and wait and the date keeps getting pushed back.

just get the eclipse //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif. let me tell you this, it takes a while to learn the eclipse but after toying with it, its pretty easy to use. more tuning options with the eclipse.

thanks for the info tho. i'm not a total audiophile/sq freak, so if i got something with so much tunability and features, it would be way over my head. idk. i'd really like to go with the eclipse, but the fact i have no window tint, and no car alarm. 2 summers ago my 92 s10 got broken into (pried sliding window open) and they stole my jvc deck (which was a replacement for the jensen i got for xmas) and my sony xplode 1000w max amplifier. (hahahhaa). anyways, my truck had window tint. but i'd always blare my system through the neighborhood. now i kno better. and i have a different vehicle.

the point is, if i had taken the faceplate off, it wouldn't have got jacked. (the amp would've tho). so from now on i'm paranoid about that **** esp working overnights and i have no security. i'd prefer detachable faceplates. eclipses will fry themselves if they're ripped right out so you gotta spend money to buy a new hu. no faceplate=better security.

thanks for the insight tho. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

they don't fry themselves. you just need the cd key to get it to work again after the power has been cut.if the deck is stolen eclipse can trace it(i think,i don't remember exactly) but if you register the serial number of the deck with them and they don't retrieve it they will replace it

they don't fry themselves. you just need the cd key to get it to work again after the power has been cut.if the deck is stolen eclipse can trace it(i think,i don't remember exactly) but if you register the serial number of the deck with them and they don't retrieve it they will replace it
can anyone testify to eclipse tracing stolen decks? is it possible to even register a used deck if it's already been registered? idk if it has been or not. jw. thanks for the input guys. that gives me a lil more piece of mind now if i get this deck.

can anyone testify to eclipse tracing stolen decks? is it possible to even register a used deck if it's already been registered? idk if it has been or not. jw. thanks for the input guys. that gives me a lil more piece of mind now if i get this deck.
2 points -- 1 re: ease of use; i bought my CD8454 only a week and a half ago and i am comfortable enough with it to use it on the road without having to look at the screen to adjust most settings.

and 2 re: the ESN (eclipse security network) -- you can't register a deck that's been stolen with them unless whoever previously bought it didn't register it. When i bought my original CD8051, the guy i bought it from had to call up eclipse with me on the phone and transfer ownership to me. They ask you all kinds of questions so if someone calls up and tries to impersonate you, they're ****ed. I've read about decks being stolen from a car and brought in for repairs...the repair shop finds out it's stolen when it's sent back to eclipse (the s/n on the deck was scratched off but it's stored digitally on it also)...so they call the guy to tell him his deck's fixed and when he arrives to get it the 5-0 are there waiting. Owner gets his stolen deck back, thief gets the shaft. +1point for eclipse //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

alright. that sounds hella good. but what are the chances the thief would take it in to be repaired cuz it's been "broken"? also this deck is used, not stolen so idk if it's been registered or not. thank you for the input. you get good rep. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

alright. that sounds hella good. but what are the chances the thief would take it in to be repaired cuz it's been "broken"? also this deck is used, not stolen so idk if it's been registered or not. thank you for the input. you get good rep. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif
The chances are actually good that an uninformed thief will do this because if you pull power from the eclipse deck, all you see when you plug it back on is "call-800". Not, "YOU GANKED THIZ SHIZ DINT J00". Also, the sticker on the top of the deck says, "If deck reads: "CALL-800" call this # for FREE TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Yeah, i'll give your *****ass some technical assistance in the manner of a nightstick up the azzz. Oh rock on, neutral rep again. w00t w00t. The deck unlock procedure is great...you give them your s/n, then another # the deck spits out that appears to change across power disc/reconnects...then they feed you back a code that unlocks it (that same code will not unlock it if you get it locked again in the future...lol) I don't think anyone's gonna figure it out on their own //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

On the plus side, a thief who doesn't know **** about eclipse might be fooled into bringing it somewhere for repairs. On the other hand, someone who is IN THE KNOW about eclipse, will not even fuqin bother trying to steal an eclipse deck because they're well aware it's basically a paperweight unless you never interrupt power to it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

sounds really reasonable. now that there's ALOT more positve info about their esn, i might just take a chance on it. the only OTHER downside is if they do steal it, they won't stop there unless it's a smash and grab. they'll go for amps, subs, cigs, w/e. good thing tho, i broke the trunk latch for the keyhole by accident, so you can't unlock the trunk via key. there's no trunk release either on the inside (unless any knows if my car has one, but i doubt it). that only leaves the fold-down backseats adn then they couldn't get to my sub cuz it's rearward facing.

back on topic, the more and more i hear about it, the more and more i'm tempted to go for it. great deal. if i don't like it, i can always trade/sell it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...