Need to add second battery for new amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

Trancer
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Allen, Texas
Hey guys. Never had to run an extra or bigger battery so this whole category is pretty new for me.

I just bought an Audiopipe 3001D to try out. I wont be running it at its full potential as I have two RE SE 12's in a sealed box so I will be sending around 800-900 watts rms to each of the subs for a total of 1600-1800 watts rms @ 2 ohm. I am also running a Phoenix Gold Tantrum 500.2 @ 2 ohms for around 600 watts rms. So total wattage will be around the 2200-2400 watts rms.

I have the Big 3 and running 1/0 awg Kicker wire. Stock alternator for now. Truck is 2008 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 5.3l. I believe its a 165 amp alternator.

I have read that not to mix different types of batteries and that I would need to replace the stock battery. Stock battery is an AC Delco 7641/ 615 CCA.

Can I not add a second battery being a Deep Cycle battery with my stock battery? If yes, how big do I need to go? I was thinking of a Kinetic HC800 for $123. Should be enough for what I am running, right? I know there are better batteries out there, but it seems like a good price. If you have better recommendations, please post them

Sorry for the long post. I just haven't ventured off to this part of the Car Audio world yet. Thanks!

I have a second accessory battery tray and it looks like it could fit a decent size battery. Trying to stay under $200.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.