need some info, first time sterio install

I have a stock 2014 Chevy sonic ltz. It gas the 1.4turbo engine. My question is. I have two jl audio 8inch speakers I am wanting to install for a better sound. With just these two speakers what would be a good amp to push them and will I need to upgrade the alternator or any of the charging system? I am trying not to change anything under the hood but will if I have too.
JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 Single 8W3v3 MicroSub, Ported, 4 O at World Wide Stereo
Budget? Seriously doubt you'll need an alt with one amp to drive those.

Each one of those subs can handle 250 watts rms a piece. Only pay attention to rms, and not peak power. All you need is a 500 watt rms amp. just find a good quality one that says its capable of 500 watts rms. Make sure you don't cheap out on the amp and get like jl, alpine, Rockford fosgate. All their amps are good quality. 8 gauge ground and power wire should handle a 500 watt rms amp. Do you know about the ohms, and the load you'll be wiring it to?

Also the only time when you'll really need to upgrade your alternator or get another battery is when your pushing 2000 watts rms or somewhere in the ballpark there lol. If you get a huge system like that, you'll know when you have to upgrade that stuff, your headlights and the lights in your car will be dimming like crazy.

I'm not sure of the ohms.. Its a mylink head unit in a 2014 Chevy sonic. I've checked the net and can't find anything. I'll try to look in the settings on the unit its self tomorrow. What do I need to watch for on the ohms? I mean if my h/u puts out 2 do I look for a certain amp or? I apologize for so many questions, I'm new at car sterios and don't wanna burn up a brand new car. Lol

Each sub is a single 4 ohm subwoofer. The ohm thing is a little hard to explain, but here's a link that explains it: Subwoofer Wiring Diagrams | Sonic Electronix.

When you wire the two subs to an amp, you should get a 2 ohm load on the amp. And depending on what amp you get will tell you that for example: the amp load at 2 ohms will give you 500 watts rms (what you need), or if you have a 4 ohm load on the amp it will put out 350 watts rms ( the higher the ohms, the weaker the power) About the head unit, I would get an aftermarket head unit. Because you have to get a bass equalizer and hook it up to the amp seperate to process the sub bass if you don't have a aftermarket head unit that has the equalizer thing already in the radio. Plus it makes your whole sound system sound cleaner and louder. The ohm thing is only between the subs and the amp. When I put my system together, I looked at youtube and it tells you exactly how to hook up everything lol. If you want the job to be done really quick, just take it to a audio shop. But if you do like I did and install it myself, it will be a pain in the ***. But I saved $100 for the installation fee lol. I'll be on tommorow, ask as many questions as you want I like talking about car audio.

Ok, I gotcha, no ohms from sterio to amp. Or any that matter... Ohms only matter from amp to sub.. My speakers will need the 2ohm output... No way I can get an after market head. Or at least not right now. My h/u controls every thing. Lights door signals. Turn signals, everything. It is its own computer also. If I did get one it would probably be crazy expensive..

Another question.... When I hook up the amp ... Can I jump off the existing back speaker wires to the amp? And still leave the reg back speakers running off the same wires from the sterio?

Ok, I gotcha, no ohms from sterio to amp. Or any that matter... Ohms only matter from amp to sub.. My speakerminimum. d the 2ohm output... No way I can get an after market head. Or at least not right now. My h/u controls every thing. Lights door signals. Turn signals, everything. It is its own computer also. If I did get one it would probably be crazy expensive.. Another question.... When I hook up the amp ... Can I jump off the existing back speaker wires to the amp? And still leave the reg back speakers running off the same wires from the sterio?
Yes. Get a loc (line out converter) and tap into the rear speakers to get a signal for the amp. Whatever amp you get youll want 500rms@2ohm minimum.

I knokw someone said no Rockford, but the 500.1 does 500 rms at 2 ohms so if you want that, they are a bit pricey but I think they deliver for sure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

constantine81

constantine81
nicholasville ky
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
constantine81