Need some help with Polk Audio DB5251 5 1/4" components

Participant count
  • Participant list

LinkedXJ
10+ year member

Illinois
Ive had these polk speakers for over a year now, have been having a never ending problem with them that i am just now addressing because it is bugging the hell out of me.

The left side is louder then the right side.

The 2 woofers each have there own baffle.

Neither baffles are ported or have holes in them.

The right side screams while the left side is just...its just there.

Left side produces sound but isnt near as loud as the right.

What to do?

Swap crossovers between the 2 to see if it is a crossover problem?

If this is the problem, can someone suggest me a better set of crossovers

for this specific set of components? Or am i better off buying a brand new

set of components all together?

Thanks

-Sean

I have these as well, though they are for my rear stage. Front stage are Polk Audio db6501's.

What do you have for a H/U? Amp? Also remember that the crossovers for these have a tweeter attenuation switch...are they set the same for both sides?

HU is an Alpine 9886

Amp is a MB Quart DSC450

They have been this way since day one, i use to run these on a $20 Pyramid 240w amp.

Pretty **** sure the DB settings on the crossovers are the same for each side.

I will double check tomorrow.

And i have played with the balance, everything is set on zero.

Im not sure wtf is going on

DB level on the crossovers for the tweets should have nothing to do with it.

Both are sitting at the same level so that is not that issue.

***** because im limited to what 5 1/4" components i can run in this **** thing.

They have got to be marine grade.

So what do i do?

Do i buy another set?

I played with the speakers and the crossovers, but got **** confused and gave up.

I'll get back at it later when i have more time. (dinner was almost done lol)

I wouldn't go off buying anything without trying something like this. Now, I'm no expert but this is something I would try.

Once you get everything back together you might want to consider switching the RCA inputs to the amp from the H/U (i.e. left one to right and right to left) and seeing if the problem stays the on the same speaker. If the problem changes to the other speaker then there's a bad signal from the H/U to the amp and if the problem remains on the same side your problem could be from the amp to the speaker.

In that case switch the actual speaker wires from the amp to the speakers the same way as the RCA's L to R and R to L and seeing what happens then. If the the problem switches to your other speaker it's most likely a particular channel on your amp and if after all that the same speaker is giving you the problem, the problem is probably in between the crossovers and the speaker. But like I said I'm no expert.

Problem solved.

This MB Quart amp is all new to me, im still trying to figure it out.

Ive got it figured out now. LOL

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

I switched the crossovers per mid/tweeter and the problem was still there stayed on the same side also.

Switched inputs on each crossover and the problem moved from one side to the other.

So i began looking at the amp.

Unbolted my amp and pulled it out with everything hooked up and running.

Started playing around with the settings and found the problem.

Its hard to explain what was wrong.

Something to do with the 1 & 2 channel switch and the 3 & 4 channel switch.

I just started playing around with things. and wa-la

Good crisp sound like before, just a little more even now. LOL

The problem doesn't matter now for one huge reason...you didn't have to spend a penny of your money to solve the problem //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/celebrate.gif.82eef51c49c9919296cb60fd0d148863.gif! Good job on figuring it out and now just enjoy the music //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif

Yup!

Thanks man!

I am however wanting to build a "sound bar" with 4 5 1/4s and 4 tweeters that hang down off the top on my cart and sit behind the driver and passenger.

Here is what i am wanting to do

SBR.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.