• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Replies 2
  • Views 2K
    Participant count
  • Participant list
U

Unregistered

I currently have a Pioneer DEH-835r which has 40x4 watts head unit on my system. My little cousin

dropped my face plate and cracked it, also the thing has been acting funny. Anyways I found a

really good deal on a Pioneer DEX-P78 to replace it and purchased that (still waiting for it's

arrival) After researching the head unit a little more, I see that the wattage per channel isn't

listed on the DEX-P78, instead it says Q-sound 4 volt preamps. I have a 200 w kenwood amp powering

my speakers and a 400w amp powering my 12" kenwood woofer. I was just curious how much of a sound

drop I can expect since I guess the head unit doesn't have a chip in it...or am I wrong? Can

someone shed some light...I'm not the brightest car audio person :)

Thanx

More than likely it has no internal amp by the way that you are describing it. If this is the case, don't worry to much. The thing with "dead heads"(head units with no amp only preouts) is that they are geared more towards sound quality, so with the right amps, you should be able to drastically improve your sound instead of it being worst.

with a deck that has only pre amp outs on it which the one you dexcribe does I think, you turn your attention from deck power to pre-amp voltage, 4 volts is not too bad and is pretty much the average right now. The higher preamp voltage the stronger your signal to the amp is. This does a couple things for you, one it lessens the chance for noise to "jump" on your rca lines and become a factor. It also allows your amp to take a little break, by letting you get the same output with your gains lower, than they were on your old deck..........I think you will be happy with the new deck.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.