Need some Fiberglass help...pics inside

bumpn_gt
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Columbus, WI
I started fiberglassing the trunk of my caddy and this is the first time ever using fiberglass. I am running 2 Digital Designs 9515's with a Planet Audio 2500d on each......

my question is, how many layers of mat and resin do I put on before I start the fleece?? I have used a little over 3 gallons of resin so far......

yea dude. that might be enough //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

how many layers is it?

you would have been better off just laying down 3\4" MDF for the flat spots, and then glassing them together on the corners tho...

I can still lay mdf......I have about 6 layers

I was just worried about it shattering with all the pressure the subs produce. I had a 9 cube wood box in there, but I wanted something bigger

six layers? you should be fine. Remember it'll have the support of the car behind it.

If it's strong enough for you to stand on (which it should be by now) it'll be fine.

I'd do atleast 10 layers myself, but I like making **** sure things don't flex, I can stand on the molds for my door pods... **** I can jump on them and heel stomp them and their fine.

Overkill=my friend...

If you're worried about the large flat spots, soak some rope in resin and put it in there, that's what Ramos used to always reccomend...

6 layers is still gonna flex...any thing that is backed by something solid anyway. build as much as possible out of MDF.

being your as far as you are, Id slap some resin down on the mold then lay some fleece over it and soak it for some extra stregnth...then go from there. worked for my previous box.

so lay fleece on the interior of the mold and soak that? I have plenty of mdf laying around that I can throw that in also.

I'm positive I used gallons.....I used as much as I could each time I laid a layer down.....have gone through quite a lot of matting also......I don't trust standing on it yet....granted I am 300+ lbs also.....

so lay fleece on the interior of the mold and soak that? I have plenty of mdf laying around that I can throw that in also.
I'm positive I used gallons.....I used as much as I could each time I laid a layer down.....have gone through quite a lot of matting also......I don't trust standing on it yet....granted I am 300+ lbs also.....
When your done, we can both test it out by standing on it....550lbs+ should test it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif Lookin good otherwise, id lay MDF down in any flat spots possible. Fiberglass is only realy strong in curvy areas and fairly weak on just flat spots.

exactly, with the amount of surface area your have, you might want to try something denser like carpet you cover a box with etc...

more mdf than f/g...

635350_99_full.jpg

its about .25" across the entire mold........I had some metal screen laying around so I threw that in there also.....cut it into strips and resin'd it in there.......the only spots that worry me are the big flat spots....I will just mdf those parts.....its about 20-25lbs now

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.