Need some advice about a single 12"

Flamingsword360

Alabama
I don't know if I posted this in the right place but anyways. I currently have a single 10" sub and I just got my box for my 12" its 1.50CF Tuned to 36hz I don't want to spend a ton of money on a sub arround $150 for a single 12". I have a Hifonics ZRX-1000.1D I know it won't do 1k rms. I was told it should do arround 700-800 RMS @ 1ohm.Someone suggested I get a soundqubed HDS-212 D2 and if I upgrade to a SQ-1200D Then get the HDS-312 D2. I also looked at a Audiopipe APCL1500.1 saw a video and it did arround 1450 on a amp dyno @1-ohm. This single 12" will be going in a EXT CAB Truck is there really a need for a amp that dose 1400rms for a daily driver? Also it has a 90 AMP ALT Its going bad and I can get a 130AMP alt for like $130 new.

Personally, I would get a subwoofer that is around 600 watts or so with stock electrical and not more. Something like the Alpine type R or RF P3 and Sundown Sa-12. Those are just general recommendation. I thought about the SQ hds212 and 312 also before they hiked the prices up, but already had the Alpine type R. And with your box, I think the 3 subs I mentioned would work better in the 1.5 cf3 better than the Soundqubed because I think the SQ subs prefer bigger boxes. I have the Alpine and it is decent enough for me as a daily driver on a Hifonics brz-1200.1. I run at 2 ohm load so I don't draw too much from my electrical. I also wouldn't purchase a different AMP if I were you as I think that amp should be perfect for a single 12 just like the way I have mine running a dual 4 ohm subwoofer.

for $150, the dayton HO 12" is a good choice.. about 700wrms. It's going to be my next sub actually.. Works great in smaller enclosures too. If you're going with 1400 rms then most likely the sub will require a bigger enclosure roughly 2.0-2.5 cu ft ported to be optimum. If you can fit a 15", it will be louder for sure and sound great as long as you build a good enclosure. Since you already have the 12" box and an amp that's capable of 700-800rms then, the dayton might be perfect for you. Great SQ from what I hear. Just a suggestion

Thank you all for your advice. The only issue im very worried about is the amp like I said it will do 700-800 RMS @1-ohm I have heard some bad things about it running at 1-ohm I hope it will be fine. Also I really have no way of setting my gains other than a voltmeter. And I was looking at the alpine type r till I was told they hate clipping but I think I will be fine because I cant stand any rattles or noises so If it starts clipping more than likely I will hear it. I need a smd DD-1 but there like $150 and I don't have that kind of money right now. I need a Duel 2-ohm sub to get that kind of wattage out of my amp BTW.

1 ohm shouldn't be any different than 2 ohms as long as the amp itself can handle it. Make sure it is 1 ohm stable and good wiring and you'll be fine.. Do the big 3 upgrade if you can. You're not even running more than 1000W so its nothing you should worry about unless the amp is absolute crap. Yea you definitely need a SMD DD-1. It helped me big time that's for sure. You can also do it by ear but you still won't be that precise. You might not be using the amp at it's full potential or you might easily clip. No sub likes clipping, but some can handle it better than others. Rattles are from vibrations of the trunk. Make sure you use some sound deadening to get rid of that.

I have about 15ft of 4 Awg wire. And its a truck BTW should not be to hard to stop the very few rattles. I think the rattles are from the panels beside the seat. I'm going to have to reinforce the door panels anyways there way to flimsy especially around the door handle. The amp clames to be 1-ohm stable.

Believe me when I say I wish I could fit a biger box but having to haul people around all the time I don't have room for it. BTW the box vol is after port and bracing displacement.

Hold on there buddy. Next time for future reference, get the sub before the box, not the other way around.

Out of the choices, the dayton and alpine are good choices, the rest like bigger boxes and more power to get loud. The difference you will see might not be a lot.

I'd say if space was an issue, 2 good 8s/10s would be great in a truck for your future builds. I've heard truck setups that measured 147db on music with two 10s on a shok II amp and it was pretty impressive. What 10 do you have right now?

Well Someone gave me the box for free because it fit perfect. If I was to build a different box it would be the same exact size because I cant go any higher wider or deeper. I have a Audiobahn AW101T that I got for free its in a 1.19 cubic feet ported box but the port is to small and I need to replace it with a 4" port. But If you think a 10" will be louder I can change the box to fit 1 10" sub

Hold on there buddy. Next time for future reference, get the sub before the box, not the other way around. Out of the choices, the dayton and alpine are good choices, the rest like bigger boxes and more power to get loud. The difference you will see might not be a lot.

I'd say if space was an issue, 2 good 8s/10s would be great in a truck for your future builds. I've heard truck setups that measured 147db on music with two 10s on a shok II amp and it was pretty impressive. What 10 do you have right now?

Well Someone gave me the box for free because it fit perfect. If I was to build a different box it would be the same exact size because I cant go any higher wider or deeper. I have a Audiobahn AW101T that I got for free its in a 1.19 cubic feet ported box but the port is to small and I need to replace it with a 4" port. But If you think a 10" will be louder I can change the box to fit 1 10" sub
you'll be fine with the box and a 12" sub that doesnt need too much airspace like the ones listed. Might as well save on the workload.

you'll be fine with the box and a 12" sub that doesnt need too much airspace like the ones listed. Might as well save on the workload.
Would a alpine SWR-12D2 be good? Or can you suggest a different 12" sub? I will probably have about 750watts going to the 12 @1ohm

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.