Need some 12" recommendations.

Warren89
10+ year member

Maine
As of Friday, after my amp narrowly escaped death at the hands of moron incapable using a cup holder properly, I decided it need a new home in the back of the van. I also decided that I decided I'd retune the amp. Not really sure why just felt like it. So I went about moving everything to the back and securing my amp. As it always seems to be, in the middle of setting the gain, company rolled in and started asking questions. In the process I forgot that the poor pioneers can only handle 2k RMS and I left them running at probably 2200-2300! Now when pioneer says 1k they mean it. They started smoking pretty good. They sound fine but I suspect they have sustained damages that will become apparent later. So basicly I'm thinking of getting rid of them and starting new. I like these subs but I'd like a little more SPL and a little more frequency range. I don't want to go down on sq though. Looking to stay under 2400 RMS as that's all my amp can push. I want to stay with one or two 12"s. I also need to stay under $500. I was looking at RE sxx12. Also, I'm looking at a set of image i61-2v2 comps. Are they worth the price. I have some pioneers and I find them lacking in mid bass and a little metallic on the highs. I'd like a warm but natural tone. Thanks for the help.

I took some time to research your suggestions. When I first looked up SPL audio I thought you were ducking with me. I did find the SPL audio you had intended. I'm not sure that I'm educated enough to order a custom sub. Tantric seems to have a lot of satisfied customers but the only place I could find them at was Facebook. Which I don't have. Lastly was PPI. I really liked what I saw there. I did see a 9 page rant about them that was unflattering. However, I was impressed with how Dave handled the situation. It seems to be the one of the few unhappy customers.

Even if you weren't that educated about subs you just tell Corey (SPL Audio) what you're looking for and he'll design the subs around what power, vehicle, type of music you prefer, space, etc. He's a good dude. And very helpful. Don't know a whole lot about PSI. They make decent subs I know that but like all companies they're bound to have a few unsatisfied customers when servicing thousands.

My thoughts exactly. Well I'll give SPL a little more thought. I know the rule is to have an amp that over powers the subs a little so you can get a good clean signal but I was thinking of getting something with a little more power so as not stress them like I did my pioneers. Am I going in the wrong directions here.

I think after much reading. Too much really, I think I'm going after the psi platform 3 12". This may sound like a dumb question. But will the psi 3 out perform my pioneers in a box built to specs and on same power

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.