Need recommendation - HU that can randomly play many thousands of MP3s from USB flash

db55

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations. I'd like to upgrade my single DIN head unit with the following features: CD, USB, Bluetooth, HD radio. I'm thinking I'll spend anywhere from $175-$300.

A key criteria is: I'd like to store a very large number of MP3 files on a large FAT32 USB flash drive (up to 15,000 MP3 files stored in a couple thousand folders; 110 GB total) and play them in a random mix from all of the folders on the USB drive (my MP3s are sorted by artist/album).

I've been researching various products and have found the following:

The Alpine CDE-HD149BT. It's unclear what the USB file specs are on this unit; the owner's manual is vague - but the Alpine CDE-164BT and CDE-W265BT both have the limitation that they can only support 100 folders and 100 files per folder. If the HD149BT is the same, that won't work for me. I've also read reviews that say this Alpine CDE-HD149BT MIX (ALL) functionality is flaky.

The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X701 can't play random songs from different folders; it only supports 999 songs from one folder. No good.

The Pioneer DEH-X8800BHS owner's manual indicates that it will support up to 1500 playable folders, 15,000 files, and 8 folder tiers. That sounds pretty good. It doesn't say whether you can random play from all folders - a must for me. The biggest complaint is that a few reviews say that the display is dim and hard to read in daylight. So I'm leaning towards this Pioneer unit, but I figured that the people on this forum may have direct experience with this Pioneer or may have better suggestions.

Obviously, it's also important that the unit have excellent reliability, sound quality, user interface, reception, etc.

Any advice on which unit would best meet these requirements would be appreciated! Thanks.

i have an avh-x4500bt and do a similar thing with the exception of the random button, however it has been accidentally turned on and done exactly what youre looking for. I have my 6 or 7 main folders sorted by genre, then alphabetized band and album. A couple times ive accidentally hit random and it had gone from Iron Maiden to Clint Black and utterly confused me until i saw that little random light lit up. Hope this helps

Thanks. Regarding your Pioneer DEH-X8800BHS: What are it's strengths and weaknesses? Is the display readable in daylight? Would you buy it again? So far, the DEH-X8800BHS is the leading contender for me to buy. Thanks!

Some reviews say the display can be hard to read in the daylight. I've had no troubles with it. I guess it probably depends on the vehicle.

Pros:

- Active capable

- Dual USB ports (front & rear). Not many decks come with rear no so this is a big plus for me.

- 4v preout

- Best USB support that I've found in any recent head units.

- 13 band eq

- Comes with remote and auto-tune mic

Cons:

- The rear outputs are used for bluetooth audio. Rear is used for mid-range when in active mode so this makes sense. It's a con if you aren't running active.

- Having the cd slot requires the screen to be smaller Flip down face or no cd player at all would be best.

- Build quality has a 'cheap' feel to it.

- Switching USB ports is not as simple as it should be. You need to go in to the hidden menu and enable the front or rear for playback. It's not like kenwood where you chose either front or rear input from the input menu.

Would I buy again? I paid $150 for it (Canadian dollars), so at that price, yes I would. There isn't anything out there that compares at that price point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again for your feedback. It's greatly appreciated.

Do you know if there are any other single DIN receivers with CD, BT, HD Radio functionality and that can play thousands of MP3 folders and files in a random mix? I'm trying to understand whether there are ANY other good options, even if they are more expensive. The DEH-X8800BHS cost ~$180 (US) here in San Jose, CA. That's not a huge price, so I could go higher if it's worth it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.