4 15inch subs vs 1 18

Google average cone area size. Check four 15s against the cone area of a single 18. That will give you your answer based off the correct installs

Im looking to buy some new subs for my explorer.
Should I run 4 15 inch soundqubed hds300s or 1 18inch hdc4

what would be the loudest

the 4 15s is only 200 more or would 2 of those 15s be louder then the 18
the 4 15s should be EASILY LOUDER there is way more cone are between them. 4-15s = 706.84 vs 1-18=254.47......

1 18 would be pretty much like having 2 12s in terms of loudness. 4 15s would be like 3 18s pretty much although 3 18s have a LITTLE more cone area but still pretty similar.

Google subwoofer cone area chart and if you ever need to know what would be louder, refer to the chart. more cone area means more air that will be moved (typically), and sound is basically squiggly air so more air = more loud. You should also look at the xmax of whatever subs you're comparing but typically cone area should be the determining factor in what will be louder. Now, regarding exactly how MUCH louder 4 15s would be compared to 1 18, idk how to calculate that. 4 15s have triple the cone area of 1 18 though so you should expect it to be a lot louder lol.

You also need to consider if you are giving the subs the power they need, and if your box is made for the subs.

There is lots of variables that come into play when dealing with spl. Usually the 4 15's would be louder but there is a chance that the 18 could be just as good.

Are you taking out rear seats as 4 15's will need a VERY big enclosure to get the most out of them?

Otherwise a single HDC4 18 on enough power/proper box will do a 50+ in a Sploder...

Are you taking out rear seats as 4 15's will need a VERY big enclosure to get the most out of them?
Otherwise a single HDC4 18 on enough power/proper box will do a 50+ in a Sploder...
not taking the back seats out but if I do 4 15s im going to do a wall and if I do the 18 just a nice custom box in back

not taking the back seats out but if I do 4 15s im going to do a wall and if I do the 18 just a nice custom box in back
That's a HUGE diff in enclsoures lol

Personally I'd do the wall as that will be much louder.

Just walled my son's CRV for 4 15" HDC4's. He lives in Indy and hits up some of the local hangouts...

So the question is, will a wall with 4 15's be louder than a single 18 in a box in the cargo area?

If you need to ask you should probably just leave the car audio hobby right now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.