Need opinions on which way to go next

Participant count
  • Participant list

sbelew
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I started out with a pair of GTO804 subs, sealed 2 ohm at 400 watts. Sounded pretty good overall but I was looking for more. So I upgraded to a Skar VVX-12 in 2 cubes at 32Hz, 2 ohms at the same 400 watts. Seems I went to the other extreme. It sounds good on some songs, but overall it is a bit overpowering and boomy. The enclosure was professionally designed and built. Neither setup delivers the sound I am looking for. I'm thinking that maybe ported just isn't for me.

I'm looking for some opinions on where to go next. it seems I need to be somewhere in the middle of these configurations I have tried. So far I've been recommended to just replace the Skar with an AA Havoc in the same box, or perhaps go with either the Havoc or an Fi Q with the high QTS in the max size recommended sealed box. It was also suggested that I put the Skar in a transmission line box, although I don't think I have the room for that option.

I have also considered either the IDQ or Boston G3, going with either a single 12" or two 10" sealed. With any of these options above, I am going to have to up my power, so my amp isn't a consideration at this point. Experimenting is getting too expensive, so I really need to hit the mark on this 3rd try.

I just downgraded from Boston G5's to G1s (12s) and didn't loose a lot of spl, and gained sq. The G5's were a little boomy from being in a slightly larger box than recommended, the G1's seem to love the box though, its 4.12cu/ft tuned at 31.3hz with a 6inch pvc port. I'm giving them 934rms before box rise, which is 2.3x what they are rated for. I have yet to smell them, and I beat on them hard last night at full volume for at least 30mins nonstop. Great subs for the $, I have never heard the G3's but they are similar to the G5's.

Sounds like you were wanting more SPL but still wanted tight controlled bass. I would have kept the pair of JBL 8's and thrown them in a 1.2cu.ft common chambered ported enclosure tuned to 40hz and they would have done exactly what you are looking for. If you are set on 10's I would recommend Atomic Manhattan series. They work really well in small sealed enclosures. The Atomic Manhattan Series 10's go for about $170 a sub.

Isn't 40 Hz tuning pretty high to sound good? I am under the impression that the higher the tuning, the more SPL oriented the enclosure becomes? What would that particular enclosure play down to? Maybe I am misunderstanding the SQ versus SPL enclosure design.

I still have the GTO804's and I am not really set on any particular size or manufacturer, Im just looking for a particular sound that I haven't been able to obtain yet. Good sounding hard hitting, but not so boomy, loud but not overpowering, Its tough to explain but I know you guys that have been into this for years probably have an idea of what I'm trying to achieve. I have spent hous playing with the LPF, subsonic and gain settings. I also used a DD-1 to set it.The Skar sounds good on a few songs (might be because of the way they were mastered though) but doesn't really sound good overall, to me anyway.

Isn't 40 Hz tuning pretty high to sound good? I am under the impression that the higher the tuning, the more SPL oriented the enclosure becomes? What would that particular enclosure play down to? Maybe I am misunderstanding the SQ versus SPL enclosure design.
I still have the GTO804's and I am not really set on any particular size or manufacturer, Im just looking for a particular sound that I haven't been able to obtain yet. Good sounding hard hitting, but not so boomy, loud but not overpowering, Its tough to explain but I know you guys that have been into this for years probably have an idea of what I'm trying to achieve. I have spent hous playing with the LPF, subsonic and gain settings. I also used a DD-1 to set it.The Skar sounds good on a few songs (might be because of the way they were mastered though) but doesn't really sound good overall, to me anyway.
The 40hz is a JBL recommendation. You could always tune lower.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.