Need Opinion on rear fill: JL C3 or Cadence cvl 5k

Participant count
  • Participant list

momax_powers
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Canada
Im trying to decide what to do for rear fill and dont say "just run a front stage only"lol. Currently I have a set of JL c3 525 components that I was planning on using but I am intrigued by these cadence cvl-5k ive seen on ebay

2 CADENCE 5.25" MIDRANGE SUBWOOFERS LOUD CLEAN NEW | eBay

I believe the best route would be to just use mids in the rear for lower range midbass to compliment the sub bass and i dont feel i need or will like tweeters in the back so these are the options im looking at:

1) sell the C3's and use half the proceeds for the cadence cvl's

2) keep the c3's and just use the woofers and sell/shelf the tweeters n x-overs

3) just use the c3's in coax mode and see what happens

The cvl's with their 3" voice coil would pack a punch

power would come from either an xd600/6 or hd600/4 (depending on which one i decide to sell and which speakers i go with)

will be going in an E39 540i

Leave the JL's up front. Put the Cadence in the rear and cross them looooow. Like 50-150hz only. You're just looking for impact to compliment your sub bass and to ease the midbass responsibility of the JL's. IMO, if you cross them any higher than maybe 200, you're not going to like it. But it's your ears and if you have the processing, you could probably get away with it.

Im trying to decide what to do for rear fill and dont say "just run a front stage only"lol. Currently I have a set of JL c3 525 components that I was planning on using but I am intrigued by these cadence cvl-5k ive seen on ebay2 CADENCE 5.25" MIDRANGE SUBWOOFERS LOUD CLEAN NEW | eBay

I believe the best route would be to just use mids in the rear for lower range midbass to compliment the sub bass and i dont feel i need or will like tweeters in the back so these are the options im looking at:

1) sell the C3's and use half the proceeds for the cadence cvl's

2) keep the c3's and just use the woofers and sell/shelf the tweeters n x-overs

3) just use the c3's in coax mode and see what happens

The cvl's with their 3" voice coil would pack a punch

power would come from either an xd600/6 or hd600/4 (depending on which one i decide to sell and which speakers i go with)

will be going in an E39 540i
Run the Jls ... Pm price on tweets lol

If what you're wanting in the rear is just midbass, then just use the C3s you already have.

Personally, I prefer a full range rear setup; so, in your case, I would more than likely run the full C3 set in the rear and just toy with some tweeter aiming and attenuation to get the sound I like. JL comps tend to be very laid back so I wouldn't be too worried about the rear tweeter taking over.

What comps are you running up front? Any way you could match them?

If what you're wanting in the rear is just midbass, then just use the C3s you already have.
Personally, I prefer a full range rear setup; so, in your case, I would more than likely run the full C3 set in the rear and just toy with some tweeter aiming and attenuation to get the sound I like. JL comps tend to be very laid back so I wouldn't be too worried about the rear tweeter taking over.

What comps are you running up front? Any way you could match them?

I'm running c5-525 components up front

Leave the JL's up front. Put the Cadence in the rear and cross them looooow. Like 50-150hz only. You're just looking for impact to compliment your sub bass and to ease the midbass responsibility of the JL's. IMO, if you cross them any higher than maybe 200, you're not going to like it. But it's your ears and if you have the processing, you could probably get away with it.
this is exactly what i was debating doing other than using the c3 in front because i have C5's going there...ill have to check what kind of filtering my HU has in order to bandpass the rear fill. I dont want to use external crossovers or bass blockers.

although when my car was stock and had all 10 speakers it did sound pretty good apart from the lack of sub bass

stock layout

L+R .5" tweeter in A-pillars

L+R 2" mids in front door between door handle and window

L+R 5.25" woofer in front door at knee level

L+R 1" tweeter in REAR door upper front corner of door

L+R 5.25" woofer in rear deck

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.