Need more midbass

Participant count
  • Participant list

Daryl rsv4

SoCal
I drive a 14’ BMW 435 and need more midbass. A few years back I added a 12” SSA Icon in a ported enclosure powered by a SQ 1200.2 and a SQ 90.4 that powers my factory Harmon Karden speakers. I mostly listen to rap, some reggae, some alternative, etc.

If anyone is familiar with these cars, they have 4” midranges in the doors, 8” ‘s under the seats and 1.25” ? tweeters at the top corner of the doors

My question is, what would you guys recommend to get good midbass? My options are -

- put a 6.5” where the 4’s are (would have to be built out if that’s even possible with the depth)
- put 8“ ‘s in custom kick panels
- replace the oem 8“ ‘s under the seats (not a fan of speakers under the seats, would be my last choice)
- also, should I go with a bigger 4 channel amp?

Should I stick with SSA for the 8” ‘s or go with something else?

Thanks all..

Last edited:
I had a 2010 135i
I replaced the 8" under the seats with a 6.5 I think they were Orion's but it still lacked
Eventually I put pods in
I guessing you don't want to cut doors apart
I would go with 6.5" in the kick panels but your going to lose your footrest
What are you using for integration.
I know on mine you couldn't get rid of the factory HU at the time so how are the amps hooked up

I wouldn’t mind someone cutting my doors up to fit a 6.5” as long as it looks close to oem.

I’m using an Audison bit ten for integration.

I have seen the Stephens recommended here before. Are you saying a 6” in the door or 8” in a kick panel?

I would do 6.5' comps in the door
If you want them to blend in better have them wrapped in vinyl or leather instead of painted
I had mine wrapped in leather
This was not from the 135, I can't seem to find pics of that those, there on a hard drive somewhere
IMG-1188.jpg

I would do 6.5' comps in the door
If you want them to blend in better have them wrapped in vinyl or leather instead of painted
I had mine wrapped in leather
This was not from the 135, I can't seem to find pics of that those, there on a hard drive somewhere
IMG-1188.jpg
That looks very nice. How did you like those DD components? What did it cost to get those panels fabricated?

Agreed, those 6.5” look nice. I would put them where the stock 4’ midranges are.

Kickstand- would love to see pics of how you did yours on your BMW if you can find them. Thanks guys..

I'm looking but I can't seem to find them
Its somewhere in a stack of about 20 hard drives I have lying around
I absolutely loved those DD's
Best components I have ever owned
The whole setup cost me about $1500 including the 600-700 for the speakers.
That's Canadian though
The extra money for the leather wrap paid for itself because it cut back the labour for the sanding.
The whole thing took about 3 days to do but that includes having to outsource the leather wrap

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...