Need mid/high amp suggestions

Participant count
  • Participant list

t1n0m3n
10+ year member

Oklahoma
I am running a set of ZR-650CSi components in my regular cab truck. I am powering these with a JL 300/4 v2. My issue is that at high volumes, the sound seems to be getting compressed. My installer recommends that I move to a less regulated amp for my mids/tweets so that I can take a 4 channel amp, bridge to 2 channel @ 4 ohms and get some extra head room. I am running the CSi's in a custom door pod, unsealed. (Door issues prevents me from getting the proper airspace to run them sealed.)

My installer is recommending an Arc Audio KS300.4 bridged to two channels. My question is... What do you think of this setup, and what better amp recommendations do you have? The plan is to run these with a somewhat attenuated gain to better match my sub setup. (And to gain the needed headroom, and to have less heat produced from the amp.) This amp needs to fit under the passenger seat, so space is pretty much a premium. The budget is pretty much unlimited. The goal is SQ and longevity.

2007 Ford F250 Regular Cab

Clarion 385USB (Which will be switched to a Kenwood x994 when it comes out later in Feb.)

Audio Control DQXS

JL 300/4v2

JL ZR650CSi (Unsealed custom door pods.)

JL 13WT5 (x2) (Sealed box)

JL 1000/1 v2

This conversation with my installer came about when I asked about going all active and putting a tweeter amp under the dash. He said that an active configuration in my instance would fry a tweeter very fast. My idea was to move the 300/4v2 under the dash for the tweeters and run a beefier amp for the mids. All thoughts on this welcome. (I am not opposed to running something else entirely either.)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.