Need help

Participant count
  • Participant list

xProxify

Okay so i am planning on putting two Alpine Type R 12's in soon but I need help with the amp. The subs are 3000W max and 1000W rms. would i need a 2 channel 1000W rms or a 2 channel 2000W rms? also should i even worry about max watts or just rms?

Okay so i am planning on putting two Alpine Type R 12's in soon but I need help with the amp. The subs are 3000W max and 1000W rms. would i need a 2 channel 1000W rms or a 2 channel 2000W rms? also should i even worry about max watts or just rms?
You'll need a mono class D sub amp that does at least 2000w RMS (not Boss audio RMS, but real RMS). Are you running off stock electrical? Any idea about your alternator amperage?

There is no standard on max power ratings, you can safely ignore them. Because bass is typically mono (as in, if you have headphones on and are listening to a song, the bass line in the left ear of the headphones is the same as the right ear), you don't need a 2 channel. Mono amps (usually labeled class D) are more efficient than 2 channel amps and are what you would want for your subs.

Most vehicles can run 1200-1500w with minor electrical upgrades. Anything past that and you'll need to invest in an extra battery or alternator upgrade if you don't want to damage your equipment or your vehicle. I recommend getting a solid 1500w amp (will run you around 250-300) and looking up what the "big 3" upgrade is.

would an Alpine MRX-M110 be good?
What impedance are your subs (dual 4 ohm, dual 2 ohm...)? That amp is not meant to play at 1 ohm, and that 1100w rating is only if you're giving the amp 14.4v. Considering you're probably not going to be upgrading your alternator, you won't be seeing that much power. If you're willing to buy used, you can get a really good 1500w amp for under 300.

would an Alpine MRX-M110 be good?
Can you post exactly what model number type-R subs you're getting? I've never owned them, but I hope you can get dual 4 ohm coils in each and wire them to 1 ohm, that would be cheaper when you buy an amp. That alpine is 2 ohm stable and may not be suitable for you if you wire at 1 ohm. Which car do you have and what kind of electrical?

they are dual 4-ohm
Good, so you can't buy that amp. I'm asking about your current electrical because in some cases the stock alternator may be enough to hold a 2kW amp, which is the case for me. Most of the time, your subs won't see anywhere close to that power, but you want the amp to be capable of producing clean power. Essentially, you'll need the biggest amp your electrical allows.

Good, so you can't buy that amp. I'm asking about your current electrical because in some cases the stock alternator may be enough to hold a 2kW amp, which is the case for me. Most of the time, your subs won't see anywhere close to that power, but you want the amp to be capable of producing clean power. Essentially, you'll need the biggest amp your electrical allows.
how would i find that out?

I did a quick search and all replacements for your alternator are 150A or 160A, which is pretty solid for stock. You'll be able to pull off a 2kW amp. Btw how much are you looking to spend for this?
i would like to keep the amp around $300

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.