Need help with wiring set up

Participant count
  • Participant list

Patthehat033
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Missouri
Okay so I have 2 amplifiers and 4 svc subwoofers.

Amplifiers:

Pyramid 1000 watt max amplifier (150 RMS at best)

Alpine MRP-M500 Amplifier (500 watts RMS)

650 rms total

Subwoofers:

2 4 OHM SVC 200 watt MTX terminators

2 4 OHM SVC 150 watt Dual DS12's

700 watts rms total (maybe)

Now the hard part is the wiring.

What is the best way to wire this up for the most power?

Because if I run the terminators at 2 ohms I can run 500 rms into them with just the alpine. But if I run both amps at 4 ohms I can only run 450 rms.

Just run the Terminators and the Alpine. The other products on your list are nothing but fail anyway and will taint these products. I owned Terminators as my first setup and with 500watts on them, they're not half bad for a beginners system.

Okay I think I will run 2 different circuits. The alpine to the terminators, and the Pyramid to the Dual's. Since the alpine can produce a lot of power and the terminators can handle them. And the Pyramid produces almost nothing, and the dual's, can take almost nothing haha.

So I could get a solid 600 watts give or take depending how I run the gains. This is going in my buddies car too, so this should be some fun. What type of amplifier did you run the terminators on?

Adding the duals won't gain much of anything since they won't be as loud. The alpine/MTX combo is all you need. Even if you could get the pyramid/dual combo to be as loud as the alpine/MTX you'd gain 3dB. But that won't happen, so maybe 1dB... Except for cancellation due to various arrival times, so at some frequencies you'll be quieter.

Feel free to experiment, but to be useful all four aubs should be near equal in type and equally powered.

I assume the pyramid is a 2 channel?

I see what you are saying..

You don't think that since there is more air vibrating from the extra 100 watts or so from the duals that it will do anything?

THat is not the way sound works. Sound pressure adds logarithmically. The stronger subs can even outpower the weaker ones, working against them. as you add more subs they are all working against each other to pressurize the cabin. The problem is worse if they share the same airspace. If you are building two separate boxes then you are certainly welcome to try. Humans are terrible instruments for judging how loud something is, or comparing loudness in A/B comparisons. But if you could access a meter, even one with just C-weighting, you can see for yourself.

The other thing working against you is voltage drop. The additional amp will rob power from the first in the form of voltage drop. As supply voltage drops, so does output power.

I've been there bro, in HS we would add more subs and more amps, sometimes mix-n-match of whatever we had on hand. In the end, the better systems are usually the simplest.

Thanks for all this advice!! I noticed you said "If you put them in 2 separate enclosures your willing to try" why would this affect things pressure wise? Also that is what I would be doing there is 2 separate enclosures.

Also what if I run 4 subwoofers at 300 watts at 4 ohms into the alpine. Do you think that would be as loud as 2 subwoofers at 500 watts?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.