need help with type r sub wiring

sk24iam
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
LI
My friend needs to hook up his one type r dual 4 ohm sub to a 2 channel kenwood kac-7201 amp. I'm not sure how many ohms the amp is rated at or if it will even work with the voice coil setup. any suggestions?

My friend needs to hook up his one type r dual 4 ohm sub to a 2 channel kenwood kac-7201 amp. I'm not sure how many ohms the amp is rated at or if it will even work with the voice coil setup. any suggestions?

you can wire that sub to either 8 ohms or 2 ohms. i doubt that amp isn't 2 ohm stable bridged. should've got a dual 2 ohm.

In curiosity, is that why so many type r fans want to have a 2 ohm stable sub? Because it seems that everyone is more interested in a 2 ohm rather than 4 ohm.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif Subs are not stable at different impedance levels... I think youre shooting for a 2 ohm coil configuration;)

ok so he has two of those amps, would it be better to wire it to both of them if that is possible?

so my options are only to wire it down to 8ohms?

Originally he had 2 type r's each wired to a seperate kenwood amp, but one of the type r's are blown so i was thinking about rewiring it when we put just the one back in.

buy a new amp or sub or have a shitty ass, possibly blown setup //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

/end

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.