Need help with SRT8 Install Sub+Amp install

Participant count
  • Participant list

Koltrain129
10+ year member

Looking for some direction on what may be the issue with my install....

I had two L7 12's hooked up to a Skar Audio 1200.1 at 1ohm load. The amp definitely wasn't pushing as much power as I expected. It's hard to explain, but it felt like something was holding the subs back. After a couple of hours of playing time, I smelled burning rubber from the trunk and one of the subs stopped playing. I couldn't get that sub to play again so I took it out and kept the other one hooked up.

I checked the ground and power wires and they all look solid/have good connections. I kept the remaining 12 hooked up and was running it for a couple days with no issue.... I took that SKAR amp out and swapped it with a Kicker CXA1200.1 that was hooked up in my other car (09 Pontiac G6) and it's been playing flawlessly for a week. I can tell it's pushing out the sound/power that I expected in the Charger.

I put the Kicker amp in the Charger and bought a new pair of Dual 2ohm L7R 12 inch subs. I hooked them up in the Charger, and still getting less power/output than I would expect...Similar behavior to the way the Skar amp was in the Charger. Yesterday, I started smelling the burning rubber again so I turned everything down. Fortunately, both subs still work...but I'm getting that burning smell and poor performance from the setup. I checked the ground and power wire connections and they are all solid. I also checked voltage at the battery and it's putting out 12.5 volts. The Power and Remote terminals at the amp are also putting out 12.5 volts.

I'm running this off the factory battery and have noticed that the interior lights dim heavily when the bass hits.

Here's a list of what I have in the Charger right now:

Head Unit: JVC KW-M560BT --- 2V preouts----
Amp: Kicker CXA 1200.1
Subs: Dual 2 Ohm Kicker L7R's wired to 2 ohm load

Here's what I have in the G6 right now:

Head Unit: Kenwood DPX593BT CD Receiver ---4V preouts---

Amp: SKAR Audio RP 1200.1
Subs: Dual 2 Ohm Rockford Fosgate P2's wired to 2 ohm load

Your electrical is part of the problem. 12.5 volts isn't enough for those amplifiers. Big 3 upgrade and a bigger alternator is what you need to upgrade.

Last edited:
Clipping the subwoofers to death trying to get more power than the amp can do cleanly. Skar amp only puts out 800 watts at 2 ohms then after box rise and voltage drop you are seeing alot less power.

Kicker amp does 1200rms at 2 ohms.

Gotta set your gains correctly or you will kill more subwoofers.

Clipping the subwoofers to death trying to get more power than the amp can do cleanly. Skar amp only puts out 800 watts at 2 ohms then after box rise and voltage drop you are seeing alot less power.

Kicker amp does 1200rms at 2 ohms.

Gotta set your gains correctly or you will kill more subwoofers.

I looked at a SMD distortion detector to set my gains, but I don't want to spend that much. Any other recommendations on what I can use to properly set the gain? I have a multimeter and saw that I could use that....but looking for some reinforcement on the best method..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.