Need help with solidifying voltage on a 5k Rms system (battery/batteries?)

Participant count
  • Participant list

adjetta
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So I am going to be running 2 aq 2200's strapped on one sundown nightshade v.3

I am also running one Infinity Kappa 5, on 2 sets of kappa 6.09cs, and 1 infinity 8" reference subwoofer (in total about 350-400 rms at 2 ohms)

I have purchased a Mechman 270A alternator, 50' of Stinger PRO 0/1 gauge, and have placed a Diehard Platinum agm up front (65 AH, and 935 CCA)

I am going to be redoing my big three, and re-running my charge cables soon.

However this is where I need help, I need to find a battery or batteries that will handle 5k rms, I am not entirely sure unto how much amperage it will draw.

so far the best batteries I have came across are the XS power D7500 or D3100, and the Stinger SPP2250, I just don't really know what I need, and yes I understand I shouldn't be running this much power if I dont know the answer to these questions, but thats why I am asking before I undertake this ish lol.

I also have a question about grounding in a unibody vehicle, I was wondering if I could weld a thicker piece of metal to a thinner area, such as a spare tirewell interior and do multiple grounds to the thicker metal.

So I am going to be running 2 aq 2200's strapped on one sundown nightshade v.3
I am also running one Infinity Kappa 5, on 2 sets of kappa 6.09cs, and 1 infinity 8" reference subwoofer (in total about 350-400 rms at 2 ohms)

I have purchased a Mechman 270A alternator, 50' of Stinger PRO 0/1 gauge, and have placed a Diehard Platinum agm up front (65 AH, and 935 CCA)

I am going to be redoing my big three, and re-running my charge cables soon.

However this is where I need help, I need to find a battery or batteries that will handle 5k rms, I am not entirely sure unto how much amperage it will draw.

so far the best batteries I have came across are the XS power D7500 or D3100, and the Stinger SPP2250, I just don't really know what I need, and yes I understand I shouldn't be running this much power if I dont know the answer to these questions, but thats why I am asking before I undertake this ish lol.

I also have a question about grounding in a unibody vehicle, I was wondering if I could weld a thicker piece of metal to a thinner area, such as a spare tirewell interior and do multiple grounds to the thicker metal.
As far as mounting to a unibody goes you don't want to make a weld to the frame and mount to that because the weld will be a bottleneck. My last car was a unibody and Im fairly sure you can mount just about anywhere on the frame and you'll be fine. However since you're running that much power you may want to just do a negative lead back up to your batt under the hood from whatever batt you get in the back. At least thats my thinking. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

idk i've heard the same, but it just seems a little counter intuitive

would I ground my amps to the auxiliary battery and the auxiliary battery to the front battery?

I wish I remember where I saw it but there is a thread on here that actually shows exactly how to wire up multiple batteries and how to fuse it all to protect your wire let me look for it.

Edit: Well I looked for a while and can't seem to find it.

My understanding is that you should run a positive lead from the front batt to the one in the back. Both batteries should be grounded to the chassis and a lead should connect the negative terminals of the batteries. Then ground your amp to the negative terminal of the battery in the back.

For fusing the batteries you should have a fuse on the positive lead close to each battery on each end of the battery. So for a two battery setup you would have 3 fuses. Hopefully this makes sense. One fuse at the beginning of the lead from the front battery. Another will be at the end of that lead right before the battery in the rear. Then one more fuse at the beginning of the lead from the battery to the amp.

I hope this clears things up and doesn't just confuse you more!

Second edit:

Found it hopefully the link works

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/wiring-electrical-installation-help/398527-dual-battery-wiring-tutorial-why.html

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.