need help with selecting a 5.25inch setup!

Jooms

I own a 97 bmw 318i and looking to upgrade from the stock configuration.

I have roughly $300-$350 to spend on components, 2-ways, a new head unit, and an amp.

With a bit of research I have come up with the following set-up. (I can't post links but all the prices are from amazon.com)

Boston Audio SC50 Components ($127)

Boston Acoustics SE55 ($47.95)

Sony CDX-GT330 ($52.49)

This comes out to roughly $240 WITHOUT the amplifier. Need some help with picking out an amp.

Is getting the same brand for both sets of speakers a good idea?

Any at all input on this setup would be much appreciated!

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Cheers guys!

I would look into a different headunit. Alpine are my favorite, but pioneer and Kenwood are also good. Good comp choice, the Morel components are nice also.

I have the Boston Acoustic SR50's and they are amazing! They go stupid loud and are still crystal clear. I would definitely recommend using a sub with them though and a low pass filter at about 125hz because the 5.25's cant really take deep bass at loud levels. With that setup though, you will not be unsatisfied, trust me. Also, you can get them for cheap at amazon.com Ill include a link so you can check them out. Amazon.com: Boston Acoustics SR50 - Car speaker - 75 Watt - 2-way - component: Car Electronics these things retail for 399.99 and after you hear them you will see why! I have them amped up to a jl audio 300/2 slash amp and like the other person said with a good pair of comps you dont even need to worry about rear speakers. Thats how loud they are!

I have owned the head unit you plan on buying and I can tell you one thing. DO NOT GET IT. Trust me Mine when ever the temp dropped below 50 degrees it would skip C.Ds until the unit warmed up. The sound quality is god awful and anything above 28 volume it puts out a white noise bussing sound also there is no off button I know that sounds like something thats not a big deal but trust me its a pain.. Also if you un hook the battery all your settings are erased. Also the voltage on the pre-outs is verry verry small

but a good choice on the comps they should do you well as far as an amp goes if your not opposed to buying used I would look at a used one.

I have owned the head unit you plan on buying and I can tell you one thing. DO NOT GET IT. Trust me Mine when ever the temp dropped below 50 degrees it would skip C.Ds until the unit warmed up. The sound quality is god awful and anything above 28 volume it puts out a white noise bussing sound also there is no off button I know that sounds like something thats not a big deal but trust me its a pain.. Also if you un hook the battery all your settings are erased. Also the voltage on the pre-outs is verry verry small
but a good choice on the comps they should do you well as far as an amp goes if your not opposed to buying used I would look at a used one.
Ya I agree with this guy my sister had a sony headunit and same thing that he is saying. It wont play cds when the cd player is cold, also with my sisters it would overheat if you played more than 2 cd's! Skipped if ya ran over so much as a leaf too!

thanks for all the posts!

Got the SR-50 instead of the SC-50s.

Got the JVC KD_HDR44 instead of that sony //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

but what I have recently found out is that the rear deck are 4' instead of 5.25'

Crutchfield says there is only one 4' that fits in my 97 bmw 318i and I am wondering why that is.

Will any 4' speakers fit in that rear deck or would there be a reason that only certain types would fit?

also any recommendation on 4' for the rear deck would be much appreciated and considered!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.