Need help with final decision (Sundown or SoundQubed)

ampageg2

I've seen several of these Sundown vs. SoundQubed threads already but nothing exactly what I'm looking for. Basically I'm going to be running two 12" subwoofers off a 950W Helix amp running at 1Ω. I listen to electronic and rap. I narrowed my decision down between the:

2 x SoundQubed HDS212 600W 4Ω

or

2 x Sundown E12D4 V2 500W 4Ω

Any input on which I should go with? The SoundQubed are cheaper but I probably won't be able to get the full power out of them since I'll be 250W under their RMS ratings (compared to 50W under with the Sundown).

Don't worry about the ratings compared to output, as different brands rate their products differently and each install is heavily affected by the enclosure.

I say go for the sundowns in a ported enclosure. Should sound awesome!

Go for a built enclosure vs prefab. Just so you know, sundown has enclosure designs for all their subs on their site. Has all information that you need to have someone or yourself build the enclosure. That is if the designs they have fit your space requirements. If not, there are great builders on this site that can design and build your enclosure if you provide them with all the info, etc.

I am buying on Monday a sundown E8v4D4 and a buddy built the box exactly to the designs on their site. Simple and clean design.

You need google sketchup (free install) so you can see and print the designs.

If your strapped for space soundqubed usually recommends fairly large enclosures. Both the subs are gonna be underrated abit and there is nothing wrong with not giving a sub its full rms its still gonna sound good.

That is if the designs they have fit your space requirements.
Been in contact with the enclosure guy and he's got the dimensions setup for my car. I drive a Ford Focus so it's a bit difficult to get the space requirements really needed. The trunk opening isn't as big as I'd like.

^^ Well, if space requirements are an issue due to limited space, you can always move down in sub size. With the right enclosure a smaller sub option can still pack quite a punch. You would be quite suprised how two 8" subs can sound in the correct sized ported enclosure. Of course 2 sundown sa8's would be sick but two e8's would also be quite good. Each sa8 runs at 500rms but from all the reading on this forum, they can handle more than that. Go watch some youtube videos of the sa8's, you might be shocked.

Sundown also makes a shallow mount series call the SD series. If you want to go with 10's or 12's, maybe that will help with your space requirements. I think they are designed for sealed enclosures, wich are smaller than ported. I think you will get more SQ than SPL but still an option worth considering if you are tight on space.

Also, would you consider just one sub instead of two. Again, in a ported enclosure, a sundown 10" would still be pretty darn good. Heck I'm doing one E8 in a ported enclosure.

I mainly talk about sundown as that is what the bulk of my research has been on.

^^ Well, if space requirements are an issue due to limited space, you can always move down in sub size. With the right enclosure a smaller sub option can still pack quite a punch. You would be quite suprised how two 8" subs can sound in the correct sized ported enclosure. Of course 2 sundown sa8's would be sick but two e8's would also be quite good. Each sa8 runs at 500rms but from all the reading on this forum, they can handle more than that. Go watch some youtube videos of the sa8's, you might be shocked.
Sundown also makes a shallow mount series call the SD series. If you want to go with 10's or 12's, maybe that will help with your space requirements. I think they are designed for sealed enclosures, wich are smaller than ported. I think you will get more SQ than SPL but still an option worth considering if you are tight on space.

Also, would you consider just one sub instead of two. Again, in a ported enclosure, a sundown 10" would still be pretty darn good. Heck I'm doing one E8 in a ported enclosure.

I mainly talk about sundown as that is what the bulk of my research has been on.
Not enough power for a pair of SA-8's to shine. I've got an SA-8v2 d2 that I would sell though

So, why not two e10's? Going down in sub size might help with your space requirements as the enclosure will come down a little vs two e12's

You can always sell the SA-8v2 and put those funds towards your new setup.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.