Need help with component selection.

Participant count
  • Participant list

TheRealSpinner

Hi everybody. I’ve got an old 1967 Ford E-100 Econoline Pickup Truck that I use as my daily drier, and I’m getting a little tire of not having a decent stereo in it. I used to be in the Mobile Audio scene, but it’s been at least 10 years. Luckily I’m a pack-rat, and have been holding on to most of my equipment. Here’s where you all come into play. It’s time to start planning a new install, and I NEED some input.

These pictures show the exterior of the truck, as well as the interior where the speaker enclosure and amp-rack are going to go. Unfortunately, I don’t have measurements at the moment. There are currently no seats, and I still need to build a motor enclosure (aluminum) so this isn’t exactly the area, but as you can see, there is going to be plenty of room. The seats can be mounted directly to the top of everything, if necessary.

20160302_094036-1_zpsxget50f4.jpg

20160907_083214_zpsjdaridsi.jpg

I’m looking for as much SQ as possible. My go-to music is mostly Alternatie from the late 90’s; Sublime, Cake, Marcy Playground. In addition, I also listen to the Pink Martini station on Pandora (lots of female vocals, and acoustic instruments). When I’m looking for party/energy music, I gravitate to Black Eyed Peas, Sir Mix-a-Lot, Blackalicious, Eminem, Ke$ha… you get the picture.

Ideally, I want a system that sounds great when I’m driving, but also works as a portable boombox that can provide music for the Beach BBQ. Here’s what I have to work with:

20160907_084713_zpsqiezxje7.jpg

******HEAD UNIT****** (I'm actually leaning toward getting either a double-din head unit with android mirroring, or purchasing a tablet of some sort for audio controls and mirroring. Mostly, I want to use my phone's navigation controls, but see it on the dash, and have audio controls, as well as add a back-up cam):

Kenwood KDC-PS907; Pre-outs only, no internal amplifier

Sony CDX C-90; I don’t have the faceplate for this (stolen), but have been hoping one would pop up on ebay or something.

******EQUALIZATION******:

Precision Power DEQ-230; 30 Band Graphic Equalizer

Precision Power PAR650; 6 Band Dash-Mount Equalizer with fader, sub control, and multiple input control.

20160907_092801_zpsgyqxeusy.jpg

******AMPLIFICATION (outputs given in RMS watts)******:

Precision Power PPI PC4100 (I have 2 of these); 4x100 RMS @ 4 ohms, 4x200 RMS @ 2 ohms, 2x400 RMS @ 4 ohms. These amplifiers cannot be run at less than 4 ohms when bridged.

Precision Power PPI PC2100: 2x100 @ 4 ohms, 2x200 RMS @ 2 ohms, 1x400 RMS @ 4 ohms. This amplifier cannot be run at less than 4 ohms when bridged.

Punch 100x2 (I don’t plan on using this, but I have it, so I figured I’d throw it in the details); 2x50 @ 4 ohms.

******CAPACITOR******:

Lightning Audio Strike; 1 Farad

******DRIVERS******:

MB Quart QM 130.03 (I have 2 pairs of these); 5.25” coaxial, one pair of RKC 113 passive x-overs

Diamond Audio HEX DA 5.6; 5.25” woofers, no tweeters go with this pair of speakers

******SUBWOOFERS******:

I’ve got some woofers lying around, but none of them are really going to work with my set-up. In case anybody is local and interested, I do have a set of 3 10w0 in a JL Wedge Enclosure. Single 4 ohm load input, likes somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 watts RMS. I also have some old 15” Cerwin Vegas that I’m unsure of the model number, and I am not looking at them right now. All of these woofers are circa 1997.

As far as install, I was planning on building an entire front stage. Speakers will be below the dash, facing the rear. No Kick-panels, etc. I basically have a flat wall under the dash to work with. Originally, I planned to reuse my MB Quart coaxials and add in the Diamond Audio for extra mid-bass, but I am open to changes (based on how cheap speakers have gotten). And for subs, I’ve been looking at Image Dynamic IDQ 12” woofers to go behind the seats in a sealed enclosure. Shops around me keep suggesting using JL 12w3, but that’s also because that’s what they stock. I’d really like to hear the difference in person, in properly build boxes.

That’s where I’m at… speaker selection. I’m not interested in changing my amplifiers since I’ve been paying for storage for so long, and I know that I have some quality equipment. I figured I'd use the PC2100 (2x200 @2 ohms) to run the front 2 channels and run one of the PC4100 (400x2 @ 4 ohms) to run a pair of 12" woofers. Does anybody have suggestions for where to go from here?

I'm even looking for input for how to route my audio signal. Do I even need the 30 band EQ these days? Or is it better to rely on a head unit for this? How about the capacitor? I remember adding it to the system at a later date, and not necessarily hearing a difference...

Anybody have any suggestions? Do I keep my current front speakers? Or get new ones? Use multiples?

What about subwoofers? I was starting to get set on IDQ 12v4, but a local shop said that v2 was probably their best sounding woofer, but tried to steer me toward JL 12W3.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Wow you're an oldschool head. I love blackalicious. Those were the days. The 30 band EQ u have would be relevant if you're gonna still use your oldschool headunits that has little to no EQ whatsoever. I still think you should invest in a new headunit anyway bc it has way more tuning features than before and can make your music sound so much more better. Pioneer DEH-80PRS for example is probably the best SQ single din headunit if ur on a budget. They make pretty nice double dins for a good price as well.

Ditch the capacitor. It does more harm than good in your system. Don't buy the W3 from the shop, they're just gonna rip u off. There's a whole new age of online subs you can choose from now and you can get way more bang for your buck. Your Diamond Hex speakers might be worth using if you can find a nice tweeter set to go with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's eye opening! Thanks. Ive pretty much been planning on using a newer double din head unit anyway. It'll be mounted in a new custom built center console, so it can really be any size…

I'm a little bummed to not use the 30 band eq, just because I never got to actually use it when I bought it. I installed it, but didn't have tuning equipment, so just bypassed it. Oh, well, I guess.

The local shop pushing the JL 12W3 was giving me a pretty good deal. Seemed comparable to online prices. I just feel weird about purchasing something like that without actually HEARING it first.

Also, didn't realize a capacitor would have a negative effect. Starting to wish I hadn't held on to so much stuff all these years.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Man i love your amps!!!! Right now i am running 2 pc 450 and 2 pc 250 on cdt and they still sound as clear as the day i bought them. I am happy with cdt all models ie. Cl hd and es. Of you want to keep it old school I have 2 original jl w3 12 i would part with for ya if you want. also have a sony gigapanel. Dont see those too much. I am really looking forward to see your set up when done. Good luck with it.

OK, so I've been doing more research, and planning...

Right now, I'm pretty set on the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX Head Unit.

Planning my wiring diagram, it seems like I'll be able to run one set of RCAs from the head unit through the PAR 245, then through the DEQ-230 into the first PC4100. I can run both front and rear channels off the one input, and set crossovers inside the amp. I'll set the front crossovers to High-Pass 200-300 Hz range, and the rears I will also run High-Pass, but probably at 70-80 Hz range, and then put a capacitor in line to cut out the frequencies that the coaxials are playing. The way the PC4100 amp works, the RCA output is crossed-over opposite of the "rear" speaker output. Since I will have the 8" midbass running off of the "rear" output, high-pass, the output of the RCAs will be low-pass. Those RCAs will feed my second PC4100 and run a pair of 12" subs from there.

Now I just need to find some 8" midbass speakers and decide on 12" subs.

As far as 8" midbass speakers, I realize that I could also find some 2 ohm drivers and give them 200 watts a piece...

Also, planning on running a pair of JL 12w3v3.

Thoughts?

new deck for sure. maybe new front speakers, depends on how much you liked your old ones. then id use the PPI PC2100 with your 3 JL 10w0s. good subs. id at least try them

then 1 of your PPI PC4100s for the front speakers. i wouldnt use the other 4100 or the 30 band eq. you might use the 6 band eq, but many new decks have nice eqs in them

keep it simple, is how id to it. deck, front speakers, sub and 1 or 2 amps. eq if it really needs it. no caps or extra batteries etc

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.