Need help with Battery comparison

Participant count
  • Participant list
When the amp is pulling power from the battery, does the amp see 14.4 volts or is it seeing 12 volts?
12. Your alternator is what keeps the voltage up above 12 volts. Batteries usually rest around the mid to high 12 volt range. Once your pulling more current than your alternator puts out the voltage drops. But you still need extra batteries, even with HO alternators. Alternators dont put out max current at all times. The more amps you draw, the more they put out until they hit their max. So if you had a HO alternator with just a stock battery, and pulled more than the alternator put out, you would have a huge voltage drop. Also batteries act as a buffer for your amps. Say you hit a hard sudden bass note, your alternator wasn't puttin out much before the note an now all of a sudden it needs to put out more. The extra batteries will keep the voltage from dropping as fast and as far

12. Your alternator is what keeps the voltage up above 12 volts. Batteries usually rest around the mid to high 12 volt range. Once your pulling more current than your alternator puts out the voltage drops. But you still need extra batteries, even with HO alternators. Alternators dont put out max current at all times. The more amps you draw, the more they put out until they hit their max. So if you had a HO alternator with just a stock battery, and pulled more than the alternator put out, you would have a huge voltage drop. Also batteries act as a buffer for your amps. Say you hit a hard sudden bass note, your alternator wasn't puttin out much before the note an now all of a sudden it needs to put out more. The extra batteries will keep the voltage from dropping as fast and as far
I Appreciate the info.

In my old car I ran my 2 battery setup in series. Just wondering should I do it differently this time. Run one power wire from the alternator to the underhood batt and another power from the alt to the trunk batt. Pretty sure the way I had it before was the best, but just checking.

In my old car I ran my 2 battery setup in series. Just wondering should I do it differently this time. Run one power wire from the alternator to the underhood batt and another power from the alt to the trunk batt. Pretty sure the way I had it before was the best, but just checking.
If you had the batteries ran in series, they would have been putting out around 24v, which would have burned everything to the ground. You had them wired parallel. Series is when you connect one positive output from one battery to the negative output of another battery and use the remaining open terminals for power and ground. As long as you did the big 3 then I would just run a power and ground wire from your front battery to the rear battery

Do your big 3, ie 0ga from alt to pos. batt, batt neg. to chassis, and batt neg. to engine block. Then run 2 runs of 0ga from your front battery to your rear battery, one positive and one negative. Hook negative to negative and positive to positive. Fuse in all the right places and you're golden.

If you had the batteries ran in series, they would have been putting out around 24v, which would have burned everything to the ground. You had them wired parallel. Series is when you connect one positive output from one battery to the negative output of another battery and use the remaining open terminals for power and ground. As long as you did the big 3 then I would just run a power and ground wire from your front battery to the rear battery
I meant parallel, my bad. But what you're referring to is running a wire from the + post on one batt to + post on another batt and doing the same with the - posts like jrdnhsnbrg said. Correct?

I meant parallel, my bad. But what you're referring to is running a wire from the + post on one batt to + post on another batt and doing the same with the - posts like jrdnhsnbrg said. Correct?
Yes do it that way

---------- Post added at 08:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

Yes do it that way

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.