Need help with a selection. I dont understand the terms

Participant count
  • Participant list

Justin Thibert
10+ year member

Ok... I want to get this amplifier

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-IBww0nPCykC/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=110&I=113KAC7252

But I dont know why I have to buy a tri way crossover.... Is that because it doesnt have one built in? and all I want to run is a 200watt Cerwin Vega 10" sub...

I thought about this amp as well

http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Kenwood_KAC_7201

And It says THD rated at RMS power 8% WTF is that all about!!

Can anyone help me with the other terms as well?

Like the Bass Boost Frequency...

Sometimes I see 90DB then other times I see 40db... I just dont know what to get.... Or what to do...

For a solid-state amp, eight percent is a lot. Anything over three percent in SS should probably be avoided.

I doubt that amp would do its rated power...then again, I don't have a lot of experience with Kenwood amps.

For starters - on that KAC-7201 the given THD percentage is .08% ~ not 8%. THD under 1% will be imperceptible to the average human's hearing.

You don't need a Tri-Way crossover for the KAC-7252. If you'd read that page a bit more thoroughly you'd have seen that the amp is Tri-Way capable which means you can run full-range speakers and subs off of the same output at the same time if a Tri-Way crossover is used. If all you want to drive with it is a single sub then the crossovers built into the amp should prove sufficient.

I can't speak for all Kenwood amps as the ones that I used for years are considerably older than the 7201 or the 7252 but I always got rated output from them (according to my own bench-testing)

The two Kenwood eXcelon amps I run currently both give me over rated output.

Where the hell are you getting 8% THD from???

Don't make **** up so you can trash somthing you know nothing about, it gives this place a bad rep.

{Chinny bends down and get smacked with a rolled up news paper, *smack* Bad chinny, Bad!}

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.