Need help with a car audio build for my Mitsubishi Evo

zboost

Hey guys.

Looking at upgrading the sounds in my Mitsubishi Evolution 5.

Basically after best bang for buck. I want high quality but nothing OVERLY expensive.

Will mainly be playing stuff like Trap music. I like alot of bass when it's clean so want something quality and powerful.

Was thinking of getting the following:

> Good quality 6.5" front speakers for doors, running off amp (don't really want to buy double for rears too unless it's essential),

> Bluetooth headunit (want to get this eventually, have a usb pioneer headunit at the moment and will keep for now, if it's good enough)

> Single 12" subwoofer with amp.

I have the following stuff I already had / bought for my previous car: (I'm guessing only some of these will be useful for my new build, some may be too low quality/power)

* Pioneer DXT-146UB Headunit (Think it only has 1 set of rca preouts)

* NBN NCB-938V Amplifier (Can't remember if this works, will test it sometime. Seems like some low quality brand so will only use if it'll do the job otherwise I'm assuming this won't be used in the next build)

* Soundstream SF.652T 6.5" Speakers (These are only 60rms so may have to upgrade them? Haven't tried them out with an amp)

* Soundstream Tweeters

* Fusion FR4-1000x Amplifier (Seems like a really old amp so may not have good specs, assuming I won't be using this)

* Fusion FP-402 Amplifier (Again, old amp so probably bad specifications, assuming won't be using this either)

* Sony XM-C2000 Amplifier (Seems even older, possibly from 90s, quite positive this one won't be used, did however have clear sound with these alpines I have haha)

* JVC CS-HX638 Speakers (Think these were from my Evo, can't remember, probably old speakers)

* Alpine SPS-170A (These surprisingly didn't sound too bad when they were running off that Sony amp above, in my project car, but if they were with that amp they must be very old too.

* Pioneer TS-165P (Probably old, can't remember what they are from)

Most of the stuff mentioned above I'm not expecting to use, however if there is 1 or two things that'll be good enough for my build I'll use them.

I did have a dual 12" Fusion CP-AW2120 Subwoofer which I sold not too long ago, this was very powerful in my opinion. But from what I remember wasn't always clear when cranked high, may have been the speakers making it sound bad (weren't amped) or just because wasn't tuned well, but put out alot of bass.

Want something just as powerful for my next build. These were quite heavy and made an affect on driving in my previous cars, won't in my evo with all the power it's making, but do prefer to have something lighter anyway and prefer only having to spend money on 1 sub.

I'd prefer getting a single sub as it'd be nice to have my car light as possible. If it's going to be a big difference I may consider going for a dual subwoofer setup OR a single 15" sub.

The front door speakers can take 6.5" speakers.

Can anyone tell me how many and what size speakers, tweeters, subs would make a clean high quality setup, and also recommend what I should get.

I'm looking to spend up to around $200 for the front speakers and $200 or so for the sub if I can get a decent one in that range.

For the amplifiers I'd prefer only having to buy 1 4ch amplifier, but if I gain alot of sound quality buy setting the speakers and sub to individual amps I'll get 2 amps.

Not too sure what I'll be spending on them, I guess it'll depend on the speakers and sub as I'd be keen on getting something with just the right amount of power the speakers will need to run perfectly.

Is there anything else to really look at in a amp besides channel, watts and brand?

I'll most likely be using the following site to find products. (I'm in New Zealand so will be buying locally).

Car entertainment - Find the best price, info and review

Cheers!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

List of most available brands in my country:

Alpine

Fusion

JVC

Kenwood

Pioneer

Sony

Infinity

JBL

Soundstream

Focal

Kicker

Phillips

Rockford Fosgate

Panasonic

Earthquake

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta be a little more specific here. Are you looking for just a little more power or something that will rattle your mirrors?

List exactly what you have already and we'll take it from there. Also, list what brand(s) of equipment you have locally. If you're not sure, I'll ask my daughter because she lives there, in Sunnynook Auckland. What kind of budget?

No reason to shy away from good setups if you have a evo.

Buy some good springs for your ride..

Either way if it get slow you have to know if you own a evo they got many and i mean many turbo builds even cheaper do it yourself builds.

Have BC gold coilovers all round. Car is very modified so power is not the issue, just prefer not adding stuff purposely making it heavy. From what I remember 2 subs wasn't much different to just 1 sub in sound.

Not really worth paying for a extra sub & another or bigger amp for a very small increase in db, rather put the cash towards better front speakers.

Looks like you have quite a stockpile of old gear. I suggest selling what you have so you have more $ to get what you want. One 12 in the right box can give you all the bass you'll need. Most of the weight will be in the mdf used for the box, so with 1 sub, you'll save some weight there. Just because your amps are old, doesn't mean they won't work well...test and sell. If you want a solid front stage, run a 2 channel amp for that. Get a mono block for the sub. I'm going to check out the link you posted and see what can be put together.

Going by what's available there and your budget (again, sell what you have too) here's what I found:

head unit● DEH4550BT or CDE143EBT (both Bluetooth hu's) both have 2 rca outs, front/rear, sub

front stage●Infinity Kappa 60.9cs (90rms) or Reference 6030cs (90rms)

sub●DD 512 200- 400rms dvc@4ohm (wire parallel to 2 ohm)

front 2 channel●MRV T420 110rms@4ohm

sub mono●MRX-M55 350rms@4 ohm/550rms@2ohm

take a look at the SA line from Sundown. Great quality and they are light for what they do. And if you arent looking to great crazy loud, but more of something that sounds good and can bump, maybe try a 10" sub.

As far as amps, Id do a 4ch and a mono or a 5 channel. You can run your front speakers passive off channel 1/2 and the rears off 3/4. then you have a dedicated amp for your sub. If youre willing to spend some money for quality, check out Sundown, Incriminator Audio, and Soundqubed amps. Reasonably priced and good quality. Also some of the PPI amps are cheap and put out solid powers and are packed with features.

Since you already have the soundstreams, try them out and see how you like them. I had a set of Soundstream Components and they sounded pretty good.

Sundown is wayyy too pricey in New Zealand though. IA and Soundqubed would have to be bought here and you're looking at min 200.00 to ship there. Everything I listed came from the link op provided.

Going by what's available there and your budget (again, sell what you have too) here's what I found:head unit● DEH4550BT or CDE143EBT (both Bluetooth hu's) both have 2 rca outs, front/rear, sub

front stage●Infinity Kappa 60.9cs (90rms) or Reference 6030cs (90rms)

sub●DD 512 200- 400rms dvc@4ohm (wire parallel to 2 ohm)

front 2 channel●MRV T420 110rms@4ohm

sub mono●MRX-M55 350rms@4 ohm/550rms@2ohm
Thanks for that.

So I'm guessing I will need a new headunit, so it can take a set of RCAS for each amp? Is there anything else I need to look for when buying the hu besides that?

I'll probably get some of the stuff used as they go for real cheap as combo deals.

And for the speaker, sub and amp is there anything else I need to look for if I can't find the items you listed, besides for finding stuff in the rms range of the products you listed, or higher.

I'll try get speakers over 90rms, sub over 400rms & hu with atleast front and sub rca preouts, then the amp in the end depending on which speakers and sub I end up going with.

I listed 2 hu's with Bluetooth, like you had mentioned. You can run the one you have and daisy chain your amps (the Alpines listed have rca out). Make sure the lpf switch is set on the monoblock for your sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.