need help with 10" sub enclosure

Participant count
  • Participant list

dmoney68m8
10+ year member

tampa
I have a sub it measures 10" across including the bracket around the cone and I'm not sure what kind if sub it is it has no serial numbers no name or logo on it at all the only thing it has is a sticker on tge back that says high performance speaker made in USA high temp voice coil as for looks it looks pretty **** close to my jl wov3 speakers but you can tell its been made with much cheaper materials. I know there's now exact volume size for an enclosure but does any body have any suggestions on what size volume I should use for the sealed enclosure so I don't ruin the speaker? All I can find is stuff saying find the volume from the manufacturer but idk the manufacturer and I don't want to mess up the sub, also I plan on giving it about 100 watts maybe a little more if that helps. I figure I should be safe with 100 watts but idk about the enclosure

without knowing any specs, we can't really give any recommendations other than this: in a free air setup, put some power to it at all frequencies and get a good idea of what it can take. If you have a dmm, measure the voltage at an acceptable level of excursion and get a ball park idea of power. That will be the most you want to put into it. Say it takes 24v@Lowest desired playable frequency when loaded, then you don't want to exceed that to be safe, even if it can. Then load it in a sealed 1 cubic ft enclosure and test the output at that voltage. Then use basic wavelength to get a tuning frequency and use that to port it if you want to port it. Really not much else you can do without specs.
You can try to get the specs from likely a local audio shop from getting it tested that way, also.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.