Need help wiring 6x9s

Participant count
  • Participant list

Daniboi

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oregon
My first time wiring in speakers aside from my amp and subs. So here's the skinny. Im replacing the blown stock 6x9s with kickers. The stock system had a standalone 2 ohm 6x9 and a separate tweeter. The new ones have two dome mounted tweeters. Its 4 ohm. I figured since they only have one set of connections they must separate the high and low frequencies internally so I soldered the leads for the tweeter into the leads for the 6x9 checked everything with my multimeter solid numbers. Plugged it in to test it before installing and it sounds horrid with any kind of volume it sounds smooth until the volume is up and it breaks up pretty bad with bass. What do I do? Google hasn't been much help with the entire process, but perhaps I just wasnt asking the right questions. Really appreciate any input thankyou!

I tried that at first only got the lows, nothing from the tweeters. Tried the opposite only the highs no bass, but when I put them together sounds great at low volume but mid to high volume starts breaking up on deep notes. The ground side connector could be tighter I'll try cleaning them and crimping it for a better connection tomorrow and see how that sounds

You might be right lol. They're kicker ds's feel like that's the best bang for the buck given they're free but maybe a set of 2 ohm speakers would be worth it. I dont see why it shouldn't work though

Made sure everything was tight still starts breaking up at around 20 on the volume knob. The original system had 2 separate speakers this one is a single unit with three drivers. Only one set of connectors. Is there something I need to put in the wiring before the speaker?

Embarrassed I didn't think of this before. They probably aren't getting enough power from the head unit and they're clipping. I haven't yet checked the output of my hu, but I have another hu still unopened that puts out around 20 watts. Kicker website says these speakers work best with 90 watts... looks like I need an amplifier

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.