Need Help.. What amp for (4) vvx-12's at $200?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Durango03
10+ year member

Enthusiast
Tn
Ok, so i have dabbled in car audio a number of years and in that time I never really paid any attention to ohms. I admittedly went through many subs as well as amps.. Now i have purchased (4) vvx-12's D4 and I would like to do this one right.

I have googled ohms for car audio and read a few articles but Im still pretty lost. What kind of amp am I looking for here?? Also any suggestions for a decent one under/around $200?

so Legacy, Lanzar, Precision power are all to be avoided? Seem to be some of them on ebay (2000-3000 watt) for under 100... understandably you get what you pay for.

so Legacy, Lanzar, Precision power are all to be avoided? Seem to be some of them on ebay (2000-3000 watt) for under 100... understandably you get what you pay for.
pretty much all garbage, but depends on if new or used and what models tho.

Not sure what you mean by what kind of power.. I want to try to get close to the peak watts without actually hitting them. The vvx is rated at 600rms so, without doing any research on them yet, I would assume they peak at 1200. with that being said I was looking for (2) 2000watt 4channel amp... haha is that right??

Not sure what you mean by what kind of power.. I want to try to get close to the peak watts without actually hitting them. The vvx is rated at 600rms so, without doing any research on them yet, I would assume they peak at 1200. with that being said I was looking for (2) 2000watt 4channel amp... haha is that right??
you want a 2000-2500rms mono amp. i have a dc 2.0k for sale for 460 shipped.

No...just no. Their peak isn't 1200. It's not measured. The only thing that you need to worry about is the RMS. You have four so four times 600 is 2400. So you want to go with something that does 2500 to 3000 RMS. Do NOT look at peak power ratings.

with 4 D4s you can wire to 0.5 or 2 ohm, at 0.5 ohm your amp will be fairly inefficient, but even at 2 there will be some serious current draw. Make sure your electrical is all good for it, do research on that too. And yeah peak power is . . . . well, irrelevant. It means nothing.

Price was not necessarily an issue, I just noticed all the amplifiers on ebay for 80-180 dollars that were 3k-4kwatts. Therefore, I wanted to see if there was anything decent in that price range. Being as Im not a audio guy myself I will take yall's word for it and steer clear of most of those brands.

Ok, so I understand my best bet is a mono w/ 2500-3000w, now would there happen to be an article write-up as to how to wire subs as 1, 2, 0.5?? This is the whole part that really gets me. Hell even just an article with explanations of the ohms would help.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.