Need Help/Suggestions

Participant count
  • Participant list

CG_Cord
10+ year member

SoCal
hey guys just joined the site and for the last 2 hours ive been reading up on subs/amps etc etc..

i am planning on going with one JL 12w3v2 D4 and possibly a KENWOOD KAC-7252 amp.. but im still not sure which amp so if you guys can suggest an amp that matches the w3v2 that would be helpful..

but the reason ive made this thread is because im having trouble finding a sealed box for the w3v2.. i would love to custom make one but i dont have any of the right tools or have access to them.. so prefab would be the only way for me... im just trying to get everything done right the first time around so hopefully someone here can help me out:)

the recommended dimmesions for 1 12w3v2 is

23.0 in. x 14.0 in. x 10.0 in.

Volume

1.25 cu. ft. / 35.4 liters

F3

FC

QTC

i have no idea what F3/FC/QTC is

now i know finding a perfect prefab sealed box for these specs is probably not possible but if someone can point me towards the right direction of a one thats near specs to the ones ive listed, that would be very helpful.. thanks in advanced

I would look for a sealed enclosure that is around 1.5 cubic feet for a smooth response out of that sub. 1.25 will work OK and give you decent power handling but will slightly reduce low end extension.

F3 is the -3dB down point of the system from 100hz. So, in an open area free from reflections, the sub will be 3dB quiter at 41.3hz in the 1.25cubic foot enclosure. The Fc is the frequency at which the sub will be at resonance in the enclosure. Qtc is the same thing as the Qts of the sub only now in the enclosure at Fc.

The larger the enclosure, the lower the Qtc up until the Qtc is equal to the Qts of the driver. When you're close to this point, the sub is basically free-air or in an infinite baffle. The lower the Qtc, the smoother the response. A Qtc of .7 is known as the butterworth alignment and is a great place to start with a sub sealed.

I would look for a sealed enclosure that is around 1.5 cubic feet for a smooth response out of that sub. 1.25 will work OK and give you decent power handling but will slightly reduce low end extension.
F3 is the -3dB down point of the system from 100hz. So, in an open area free from reflections, the sub will be 3dB quiter at 41.3hz in the 1.25cubic foot enclosure. The Fc is the frequency at which the sub will be at resonance in the enclosure. Qtc is the same thing as the Qts of the sub only now in the enclosure at Fc.

The larger the enclosure, the lower the Qtc up until the Qtc is equal to the Qts of the driver. When you're close to this point, the sub is basically free-air or in an infinite baffle. The lower the Qtc, the smoother the response. A Qtc of .7 is known as the butterworth alignment and is a great place to start with a sub sealed.
thanks for clearing that up..

i found a nice box for a decent price.. and is almost par on the specs im looking for..

22x13x10 and the enclosure volume is 1.6 Cubic Ft.

would 1.6 be alright? or should i keep looking around for a 1.5 cubic ft. box?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.