Need Help on Amplifier for my subs

abecks44
10+ year member

I just bought an MTX amp and sub package from sonicelectronix that came with 2 12in subs. The amp that came with it, though, is terrible. It overheats if used to long, and cuts power to the subs. It also does not power the subs nearly what they can handle. So, my question is what amplifier should I buy ($200 or less) for my 2 12in terminator subs that will push them as hard as they can go without overpowering them. And of course not overheat or cut power to the subs... Any replies are appreciated, still pretty new with stereo systems.

Here are the specs to the subs:

2 12" Terminator Series Subwoofers Included

Power Handling:

Peak: 1200 watts per pair / 600 watts each sub

RMS: 400 watts per pair / 200 watts each sub

2" Aluminum single 4 ohms voice coil

Rubber Surround

Polypropylene Cone

MTX Audio Logo on Dustcap

48oz. Magnet

Frequency response: 37-150 Hz

1-year Manufacturer's warranty (on subwoofers only)

Set the amp up right and it should be fine
Pretty much this, something is obviously wrong. You (most likely) either have the subs wired incorrectly or you have poor power or ground connections somewhere.

Actually, I've read several reviews for this exact package stating that the amp overheats within minutes (mine takes about 20-30 of solid use), and completely fries itself within months. I would just like to know what kind of amp would best fit these subs.

Your box is set for a 2ohm load being 2 svc 4ohms subs. I suggest this MB Quart ONX1.1500D - ONYX Class D Monoblock Car Amplifier/Amp run it at 2ohms and set gains with dmm to 850rms or so. Wont need to do any electrical upgrades and will pound thoughs mtxs
If I run it at 2 ohms, wouldn't that be giving the subs 1000w RMS? So 500 RMS each? These subs are only rated for 200w RMS each, wouldn't that be bad for them?

Your box is set for a 2ohm load being 2 svc 4ohms subs. I suggest this MB Quart ONX1.1500D - ONYX Class D Monoblock Car Amplifier/Amp run it at 2ohms and set gains with dmm to 850rms or so. Wont need to do any electrical upgrades and will pound thoughs mtxs
If I run it at 2 ohms, wouldn't that be giving the subs 1000w RMS? So 500 RMS each? These subs are only rated for 200w RMS each, wouldn't that be bad for them?

Sorry, Reposted by accident, and I don't think I can delete it...

I'm not too sure I trust myself with installing an amp that could potentially break my speakers, I'm still pretty new with this. But I was browsing through sonicelectronix and found this amp, Kicker ZX400.1, would you recommend it for my subs?

Sorry I couldn't post a link straight to them, this site is not letting me post urls for some reason... But if you search "Kicker ZX400.1" in sonicelectronix, it's the first amp that pops up.

you could but you will be wanting more ,get an amp that will allow upgrades down the road.if this is your first system ,you wont have it long without going to something bigger

I probably won't be up grading my speakers anytime soon. For now, I would just like the best amp I can get for these subs. I'd gladly take a suggestion for an amp that would be used with better speakers that has a higher RMS output, but only if I get some pretty detailed information on how to set them up correctly...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.