Need help finishing a system I've already committed too... Help!!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Sound
10+ year member

Complete Noob
Hi, I have a 2004 Honda Civic Coupe EX stock, but I've already bought a Pioneer Premier DEH-P510UB headunit (and a HD Radio tuner add on).

My goal is to get some nice sound quality with just enough power so that when I get a couple of sub woofers later on the rest of my system isn't under powered.

As far as my taste in music goes, I listen to a lot of stuff, but mostly rock to pop, with acoustic stuff mixed in there.

What I'm looking for is a set of 2-way components (6 1/2 in.) up front and some 6x9's for the rear. I have friends (and sometimes myself) in my back seat all the time, so rear fill is important to me.

I'm also looking for a nice 4ch amp to power all of them.

My budget for the speakers and amps is about $700-$1000 (For new equipment, not used. It's a pet peeve).

I'm in dire straights, as I can't tell an Ohm from a Watt or a Volt or a "voice coil". Any recommendations?

Hi, I have a 2004 Honda Civic Coupe EX stock, but I've already bought a Pioneer Premier DEH-P510UB headunit (and a HD Radio tuner add on).
My goal is to get some nice sound quality with just enough power so that when I get a couple of sub woofers later on the rest of my system isn't under powered.

As far as my taste in music goes, I listen to a lot of stuff, but mostly rock to pop, with acoustic stuff mixed in there.

What I'm looking for is a set of 2-way components (6 1/2 in.) up front and some 6x9's for the rear. I have friends (and sometimes myself) in my back seat all the time, so rear fill is important to me.

I'm also looking for a nice 4ch amp to power all of them.

My budget for the speakers and amps is about $700-$1000 (For new equipment, not used. It's a pet peeve).

I'm in dire straights, as I can't tell an Ohm from a Watt or a Volt or a "voice coil". Any recommendations?
Components and rear fill powered by an amp, sounds like you're already off to a better start than half the people on here. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You could try getting a 5 channel amp, which will come with an extra channel with a couple hundred watts of power for a subwoofer or two.

As far as ohm, most door speakers are 4 ohm with the exception of a few that are 2 ohm. Most amplifiers will deliver more power at a 2 ohm load than a 4 ohm (in most cases, lower impedance = more power), however, it's far from necessary to run 2 ohm speakers. Most do not.

Watts are the power handling of a speaker. When looking for speakers, pay attention to the "RMS" value, opposed to the max or peak ratings. These mean nothing.

Hahaha, thanks! I still feel like I'm stuck at square one, but it's nice to hear that I'm not.

Are 4 ohm speakers better quality (sound better/clearer) then 2 ohm speakers?

Hahaha, thanks! I still feel like I'm stuck at square one, but it's nice to hear that I'm not.
Are 4 ohm speakers better quality (sound better/clearer) then 2 ohm speakers?
When talking about speakers, not necessarily. 4 Ohm speakers would technically be better because of damping factor and what not, but you're VERY unlikely to hear it.

Popular 2-way passive component sets - Image Dynamics CTX65CS, Pioneer Premier TS-720PRS, Alpine SPX-17Pro, PPI 356CS (if you can still find them), DLS UP6i, Phoenix Gold RSD65cs, etc. These are just a few.

There's a ton of amp brands you can choose from: MB Quart, Audioque and Sundown are some of the brand names I throw around the most.

I've gone out and bought a pair of Alpine SPX-17PRO components for the front and a pair of Alpine SPR-69C for the rear fill.

The 17Pro's are "Peak: 600 watts per set / 300 watts each side RMS: 200 watts per set / 100 watts each side"

The SPR-69C's are "Peak: 600 watts per pair / 300 watts each RMS: 200 watts per pair / 100 watts each"

Both are "4 ohms impedance"

So all I have left to get now is a decent 4ch amp, yes? What specs do I need to be looking for an a amp? Are all amps made equal or do they sound different? Any recommendations?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.