Need Help Finding a Sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

Alpineforever
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Austin TX
So, it's been a long time and three cars later but I want to get back into the car audio game.

Problem is my car has very little room compared to my last build.

I'm currently driving a Lexus SC300. It currently has an 8inch sub mounted in the rear deck. I do not wan to lose any of my trunk space on a box, nor do I want to deal with a sub in the trunk thats separated from the air inside the cabin. So I'd like to use the factory mounting location.

A 10 inch sub will fit in the stock location, all it needs is for me to fabricate a baffle out of 3/4 MDF which is no big deal, however right under the sub is where the gas tank is. I know that with a 3/4 baffle I can fit a 10 sub with a mounting depth of 5.25 inches or less. However, I don't know what subs there are that will sound good in a pseudo infinite baffle setup. Ideally I'm looking for a High Q subwoofer that's

10 inches in diameter

No more than 5.25 inches of mounting depth.

Currently I have a Sundown SAE 1000D from my old build that I'd like to use again, so 300 watts at 4 ohm, 600 watts at ohm, or 1000 watts at 1 ohm. I can't imagine an IB setup running within these parameters for more than 400 watts or so, so I'm looking for a sub that can match up well with this amp at 300 watts or so. I will be deadening the rear deck and trunk as much as I can and sealing the trunk from the cabin as well as possible. I'm comfortable spending up to $500 on the sub though I obviously don't mind spending less. However what's really important to me is the subs ability to perform in this environment.

What suggestions do ya'll have? A lot of people on the SC forum are using subs I'm not terribly excited about and I'd like to get a few more subs to check out.

Thanks for all the help guys.

get an Alpine type X
Thanks for the suggestion but that won't work, the mounting depth on that sub is nearly twice as long as will fit.

BTW are funky pups still a thing? Would love to run one of those in my car and decimate all comers.

Dayton Audio RSS265HO-44 10" Reference HO DVC Subwoofer

This would be a nice sub to fit in there..I have two sitting lbnib..Mine are dvc4 ohm..great sq sub and really do nice in small enclosure areas/sealed..just an option to consider

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

i have my two locked away in vault trying to save man kind
LOL..Do you now?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

Dayton Audio RSS265HO-44 10" Reference HO DVC SubwooferThis would be a nice sub to fit in there..I have two sitting lbnib..Mine are dvc4 ohm..great sq sub and really do nice in small enclosure areas/sealed..just an option to consider
Thanks, this looks like a decent choice and it has acceptable FS and Qts values. An it's 5 inches deep, should be perfect and it matches well with my SAE 1000d at 2 ohms.

The 10.5 inch mounting diameter isn't too big a deal. With a 3/4 inch baffle quite a few people have gotten 10.5 inch subs to fit in the factory hole, and I'd much rather have a 10 than an 8 simply for the extra cone area.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.