Need help deciding on single 12 inch ported or single 15 inch sealed in existing box.

Have you looked at Skar, its meant for low bass and your sealed enclosure is perfect for a vvx 15 (600watt) or the ivx 15 (300watt), your amp is only running 300watt bridged right?

I listen to a lot of different styles music, including some occasional hip hop, but mostly top 40 stuff. I do appreciate a lot of detail in my music, but occasionally like to hear some powerful sub bass. When I was in my teens had a pair of 15inch RF Punch in a 8 cubic foot box, and I wouldn't mind re-living my youth once in awhile. My front stage consists of a nice Kenwood deck and 6 inch component speakers, powered by another old school amp, a precision power 2050m. I also have an old soundstream reference 405 (5 channel amp) that I considered running the whole system on, but the sub channel only puts out 200 watts rms. So not a high powered system, but a clean one. I had been using a JL audio 10inch sub for several years (it recently blew out), but wasn't every really that happy with the amount of low end it puts out in a 0.75 cubic foot sealed box. Looking for something much, much more //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
BTW, Thanks for all the feedback so far, you have all been really helpful.
It sounds to me like you should go with the ported 12 and with 300RMS on tap, I would get the Dcon without hesitating.

I listen to a lot of different styles music, including some occasional hip hop, but mostly top 40 stuff. I do appreciate a lot of detail in my music, but occasionally like to hear some powerful sub bass. When I was in my teens had a pair of 15inch RF Punch in a 8 cubic foot box, and I wouldn't mind re-living my youth once in awhile. My front stage consists of a nice Kenwood deck and 6 inch component speakers, powered by another old school amp, a precision power 2050m. I also have an old soundstream reference 405 (5 channel amp) that I considered running the whole system on, but the sub channel only puts out 200 watts rms. So not a high powered system, but a clean one. I had been using a JL audio 10inch sub for several years (it recently blew out), but wasn't every really that happy with the amount of low end it puts out in a 0.75 cubic foot sealed box. Looking for something much, much more //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
BTW, Thanks for all the feedback so far, you have all been really helpful.
I know where you are coming from, I currently run 2 powerbass 2XL 15's on 1200 watts in my wifes' Suburban and they hit pretty dang good. Sounds like you are limited on space, or I'd suggest a 15 ported...Of the 2 you asked about, I'd do the DCON 12 ported, but here is another option ported:

WoofersEtc.com - ID12 V3 D4 - Image Dynamics 12" Dual 4 Ohm V3 Subwoofer

You might consider a mid to upper 30's tune with the music you like...but this too will depend on the vehicle and sub/port alignment in the vehicle. With well thought out loading design, you can get good output from a single 12 ported on 3 - 400 watts

I know where you are coming from, I currently run 2 powerbass 2XL 15's on 1200 watts in my wifes' Suburban and they hit pretty dang good. Sounds like you are limited on space, or I'd suggest a 15 ported...Of the 2 you asked about, I'd do the DCON 12 ported, but here is another option ported:WoofersEtc.com - ID12 V3 D4 - Image Dynamics 12" Dual 4 Ohm V3 Subwoofer

You might consider a mid to upper 30's tune with the music you like...but this too will depend on the vehicle and sub/port alignment in the vehicle. With well thought out loading design, you can get good output from a single 12 ported on 3 - 400 watts
Running those ID's right now. Very pleased with them, clean sounding... very clean...

Hmm, might have to check'em out
I think I paid 125$ for two of em used, I was thinking "these can't be that great." Then Rack City played

220-picard-surprised.jpg

Just an FIY.....WinIsd's plots do not take into account a car/truck/suv's interior.

That bump that it shows may be 10x higher or lower once installed into car....

Yeah, I didn't think about the win isd not taking into account the car. I know I've had some incredible sounding boxes sound like garbage in another car. Wonder how I can account for that, or test the freq response of my car? I also have considered maybe just buying a decent class d monoblock amp for 500-600 watts, that might give me more options, especially in a sealed enclosure as they require more power for same db output as ported. I'm kind of leaning toward a 15 inch sealed right now. Then could always port it later if Idont like the sound? Still not sure though, only have about $200 -300 to spend right now.... without the wife getting wise that is!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.