Need Help Deciding on a 12" Sub for SQ in a Hatchback

Nibrok

Seattle
I was hoping someone could help me decide on a single 12" for my 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback. I've already purchased my front sound stage which consists of Morel Hybrids 6 1/2 components and now looking for suggestions on a really good SQ sub. So far I've heard that HAT and Image Dynamics would be a great option but was wondering what others would suggest. My decision on a single 12" is solely to retain as much hatch space as possible. Thanks in advance...

How much power are you planning on giving it? And have you decided on an amp yet?

And do you plan on running sealed or ported? I'm assuming sealed since you said space and SQ are concerns, although a pretty flat output can still be acquired with a ported box.

Hi T2, I haven't planned the amp yet, the only thing I've purchased so far is my front sound stage, I'm definitely open to suggestions for amps as well. Thanks!!!

Hi T2, I haven't planned the amp yet, the only thing I've purchased so far is my front sound stage, I'm definitely open to suggestions for amps as well. Thanks!!!
Well could you give us a general power range of what you're wanting? I'm not sure whether to recommend some pure SQ equipment with low power or something more in the 1000w range that will still sound good but be a good bit louder.

I guess I'm not sure exactly. I was thinking a 5 channel amp would take care of everything and would be easier to install in regards to installation options but I would be open to suggestions. Someone said the Alpine PDX-V9 would be plenty for a single 12 and my fronts but I've been out of car audio for so long now that I really don't know.

If you're only running a passive front stage, you could get away with 4 channel amp that does about 150x4 and bridging channels 3 & 4 for your sub. If you're running active, you'd need all 4 channels for your front stage and that's where a 5/6 channel amp or a second mono amp would come in.

I'd be willing to do 2 amps if need be but figured I could just run a 5 channel and take care of everything that way. Any advise on subs? Thanks for all your help so far...

Let me know if this won't work for your setup but here's an idea I have

4 channel 150w amp - Channels 1 and 2 would go to your crossovers on your components, and channels 3 and 4 would be bridged for about 450w to your sub.

In this power range there's a lot of options as far as subs and amps go. Note that this is all pretty expensive equipment. There's more options than this but I can't think of any more off the top of my head.

Amps:

Zapco Z-150.4

MMats SQ4160

Subs:

Image Dynamics IDQ

Hertz ML3000

JL W3v3

+1 for the hertz subwoofer

They dont require a large enclosure so you can save quite a bit of room. I'm a big fan of DLS, so that's another great SQ subwoofer option.

I still have my w3, surprisingly loud subwoofer and pretty good sq if put in the right enclosure they will sound and dip pretty low in a ported.

The herts sounds pretty good too, I've only heard them one time and not fully experienced it.

Wow, the JL Audio seems to have amazing reviews for the price. If I was to go with it which amp would you recommend?
Just be aware that a lot of noobs write reviews for the JL since it's a pretty mainstream brand. I don't usually recommend JL, but the w3 is a pretty good SQ driver for the price.

I personally like the Zapco amp. Maybe something like Zuki, McIntosh, Moscani etc. would work great too. I'm honestly not very educated when it comes to SQ oriented amps other than those. Most of my SQ knowledge comes from what I've seen and heard at local competitions and some more professional reviews on the forums, which is pretty limited.

Dang guys, so many options. Lets do this, I'd be willing to spend up to $300 for a sub. The Dayton looks really nice and has good reviews as well and only $150???

If you had $300 to spend on a good sq sub that also hits deep what would you buy? Once I figure that out I'll work on a matching amp.

Just want to say thanks again for everyone's help, its much appreciated.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.