Need help connecting amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

SonicRed

CarAudio.com Newbie
Working on a 2001 GMC Yukon XL

Speakers:
-Four 6.5” door speakers (4 ohm).
-Single subwoofer (single voice coil 300 rms @ 4 ohm).

5 channel amp has two options to connect:

Option 1:
RMS Power @ 2 Ω = 85W x 4 Ch + 450W x 1 Ch

OR

Option 2:
RMS Power @ 4 Ω = 55W x 4 Ch + 300W x 1 Ch

I’d like to connect the amp at 4 ohms for all 5 speakers.

I have the door speaker wires from the truck’s harness color match connected to a speedwire, which is color match connected to the harness coming out of the amp.

The amp has four remaining unconnected wires, which I assume are for the subwoofers (2 blue and 2 yellow wires).

Question:

Since I’m connecting only one subwoofer which can handle the full power provided by the amp at 4 ohms, should I connect both blue wires to the (+) on the woofer, and both yellow wires to the (-) on the woofer?

Last edited:
There are some similar posts on this site, that may provide you with your answer. I believe the responses were that you can attach both positive wires to the positive terminal on your sub, and the same for the two negative wires, Look for the post before wiring.

Since I’m connecting only one subwoofer which can handle the full power provided by the amp at 4 ohms, should I connect both blue wires to the (+) on the woofer, and both yellow wires to the (-) on the woofer?
Like I advised earlier, channel 5 is only one channel. So both yellows are actually one wire as are both blues. I think what you are wanting to know is if the amp will play 4ohm or 2ohm. The speakers that you use are the ones that decide at what ohm your amp will play. Since your door speakers are 4ohm, your amp has no choice but to play at 4ohms. Same goes with your sub, it is 4ohms so amp must play at 4ohms. If you want the amp to play at two ohms, you must get a similar sub and parallel the vcs. Other option is to change it out for a dual 4ohm or single 2ohm.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.