Need help choosing proper amp for a beginner

Participant count
  • Participant list

Archie1185
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
First off, I would love for this to be informative so that in the future, I and others can better understand how to choose an amp for their application, so all information is welcome.

Ok, so I've recently bought a set of 6.5 and 6x9 kappas and some reference components to replace my factory speakers. The rms on them is as follows: 6.5(150/pair) 6x9(225/pair) and components (50/pair)

So my question becomes, how do I pick out an amp. I know a 4 channel is probably recommend, but as a beginner with no knowledge, how do u determine what channel amp you need and what type of power do you look for?

Again, thanks for any info provided.

First off, I would love for this to be informative so that in the future, I and others can better understand how to choose an amp for their application, so all information is welcome.
Ok, so I've recently bought a set of 6.5 and 6x9 kappas and some reference components to replace my factory speakers. The rms on them is as follows: 6.5(150/pair) 6x9(225/pair) and components (50/pair)

So my question becomes, how do I pick out an amp. I know a 4 channel is probably recommend, but as a beginner with no knowledge, how do u determine what channel amp you need and what type of power do you look for?

Again, thanks for any info provided.
Even 60w per channel can get plenty out of almost any speaker, but a lot of people like plenty of headroom, which means picking an amp that is more powerful than speaker's rated power. You listed 6 speakers, correct? Your choices are either a 6ch amp or a 4ch + 2ch amp.

As far as a 4 channel amp goes, I picked this guy up on the low Sound Ordnance™ M-4075 4-channel car amplifier — 75 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield.com and its powering 4 type-Rs loudly and cleanly. You could probably find something much better if you want to spend more, but this guy hasn't been bad for me.

Edit: It appears they no longer make that Amp?

You could go with a processor as well. I'm kinda new to this, and haven't seen one in action. But a processor like the MS-8 has been recommended. It only powers 20-30 watts. Not sure if you could up that by only powering your 2 50W speakers and using a 4 channel amp for your higher output speakers, someone else could probably way in with some more knowledgeable info.

Budget?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.