04 Honda Civic build ?

Participant count
  • Participant list

jeffdp

I'm about to build a system for an 04 Civic EX. Right now it's just got the factory 4 speaker system with pitiful 6.5's all around.

All I've bought so far is a pair of Infinity Reference 6500cx (90w RMS 6.5" components with tweeters) for the front. According to crutchfield these will not fit in my car, but I should be able to make them work with adapters. I've had good experience with Infinity in the past and I'm thinking these should do a much better job than any of the 5 1/4" speakers recommended by Crutchfield.

For the rear I'm thinking 5.25" Polks. I'm much less concerned about what's in the rear because I'm never going to sit back there and I think my focus should be on what's up front. I'm hoping to push around 75w RMS to each speaker, but I suspect that will be more than my ears can handle. I figure I'm better off with a higher output amp turned down than something smaller cranked up.

I also need a HU (thinking about using an old Clarion I've got kicking around) and a 4 channel amp. I've got an old school RF punch 100 with an old Pioneer 10" sub that rocks much harder than One would expect. I might later upgrade to a larger sub but I think what I've got should be sufficient for a little Honda Civic.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what speakers / hu / amp I should be buying? I'm not an audiophile but I do want a good quality setup. My budget not including the Infinities I already bought is around $500-$600 for the rear speakers, amp, and possibly HU.

Cheers!

I'm about to build a system for an 04 Civic EX. Right now it's just got the factory 4 speaker system with pitiful 6.5's all around.
All I've bought so far is a pair of Infinity Reference 6500cx (90w RMS 6.5" components with tweeters) for the front. According to crutchfield these will not fit in my car, but I should be able to make them work with adapters. I've had good experience with Infinity in the past and I'm thinking these should do a much better job than any of the 5 1/4" speakers recommended by Crutchfield.

For the rear I'm thinking 5.25" Polks. I'm much less concerned about what's in the rear because I'm never going to sit back there and I think my focus should be on what's up front. I'm hoping to push around 75w RMS to each speaker, but I suspect that will be more than my ears can handle. I figure I'm better off with a higher output amp turned down than something smaller cranked up.

I also need a HU (thinking about using an old Clarion I've got kicking around) and a 4 channel amp. I've got an old school RF punch 100 with an old Pioneer 10" sub that rocks much harder than One would expect. I might later upgrade to a larger sub but I think what I've got should be sufficient for a little Honda Civic.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what speakers / hu / amp I should be buying? I'm not an audiophile but I do want a good quality setup. My budget not including the Infinities I already bought is around $500-$600 for the rear speakers, amp, and possibly HU.

Cheers!
Those infinity speakers with an amp will definitely sound better than factory stuff. I would keep the stock HU and just use a LOC. Do you have the spec on the clarion amp? You're right on the rear speakers, not essential, especially if you don't have people back there too often. If you're able to return the Infinity speakers, I recommend you do. I think you can do much better with your budget. Also, are you planning on a sub stage? An 8" or a 10" sub would make a world of difference if done right.

Those infinity speakers with an amp will definitely sound better than factory stuff. I would keep the stock HU and just use a LOC. Do you have the spec on the clarion amp? You're right on the rear speakers, not essential, especially if you don't have people back there too often. If you're able to return the Infinity speakers, I recommend you do. I think you can do much better with your budget. Also, are you planning on a sub stage? An 8" or a 10" sub would make a world of difference if done right.
Thanks for the reply.

Stupid question but what's an LOC? The stock HU is horrible. The clarion is a HU I bought about 12 years ago and used in a few cars. It's 50x4 so it probably puts out around 14x4 if I'm lucky. SQ was excellent & it has pre outs for front, rear, and a sub.

I'm planning on using a Pioneer 10" sub that I've had for years with an RF Punch 100 amp.

The Infinities I bought are well reviewed and I figure they should give me good sound up front once I amp them up. The back seat is unlikely to be used much if at all so I really don't care too much what goes back there.

I'm giving some thought to an old Eclipse amp if I can get it and probably a RF if I can't.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks for the reply.
Stupid question but what's an LOC? The stock HU is horrible. The clarion is a HU I bought about 12 years ago and used in a few cars. It's 50x4 so it probably puts out around 14x4 if I'm lucky. SQ was excellent & it has pre outs for front, rear, and a sub.

I'm planning on using a Pioneer 10" sub that I've had for years with an RF Punch 100 amp.

The Infinities I bought are well reviewed and I figure they should give me good sound up front once I amp them up. The back seat is unlikely to be used much if at all so I really don't care too much what goes back there.

I'm giving some thought to an old Eclipse amp if I can get it and probably a RF if I can't.

Any input is appreciated.
Looks like you're going the old school way. LOC=line output converter. Takes your high level speaker inputs from the stock HU and spits out RCA outputs. Go the clarion route though to avoid that. I know they're well reviewed, but so are many other items. They're ok, but once you start playing some more complicated stuff, you'll see their drawbacks. I love classical music and playing an oboe or piano on those just made me cringe. Tastes are different, maybe you'll like it.

I'm very open to suggestions. I usually listen to heavier stuff than classical, but if there's something that can better handle pretty much anything I could throw at them I'm interested. I'll probably be running somewhere around 50w-60w RMS to whatever I end up using. I would assume that any 6 1/2" speaker could be adapted to fit.

I'm very open to suggestions. I usually listen to heavier stuff than classical, but if there's something that can better handle pretty much anything I could throw at them I'm interested. I'll probably be running somewhere around 50w-60w RMS to whatever I end up using. I would assume that any 6 1/2" speaker could be adapted to fit.
If you're not returning the Infinities, then may want to just install them along with the rest of the gear you have. If you were to get something else, what are you willing to spend? It may be understated, but of all the equipment you buy, the front speakers are the single most important piece.

I spent $250 on the Infinities so I guess anything at or below that level. They had cheaper components in the reference series but I wanted these - Infinity Reference X REF-6500cx 6-3/4" component speaker system — also fit 6-1/2" openings at Crutchfield.com

The last time I did this 15 years ago it was so much easier with so much less to choose from. I've been browsing ebay and it's almost frustrating how many options I've got. I'm reading as many reviews as possible but I can't keep up.

Would I be better off letting the HU power the rear speakers and bridging the amp for the front to get around 100RMS instead of 50, or is that a bad plan?

I think I'll delay work on this for another week to figure it all out. Might as well get it right the first time. I think this is all going to be overkill for a little civic but it should sound awesome.

Forgot to mention the amp. I'm on the fence right now between an old Eclipse EA3422 and a RF R400 4D which is brand new. I've heard great things about Eclipse amps and with shipping the price works out about the same. Any thoughts?

Forgot to mention the amp. I'm on the fence right now between an old Eclipse EA3422 and a RF R400 4D which is brand new. I've heard great things about Eclipse amps and with shipping the price works out about the same. Any thoughts?
About $150 each? Any reason you're limited to just those 2? If you're not returning the speakers, just install them...may just like them. By the way, the car has nothing to do with how nice you can make it sound. I'd go with something a little more powerful. Look at the popular PPI 900.4.

Also, don't limit yourself to crutchfield. They have some nice stuff that you can pay top dollar for. If you're not going to add rear speakers, check this one out:

Symphony S550/2 2 Channel - Crescendo Audio Factory Direct Online Store

Also, if you do, here'a 4ch:

SSA Store - US Acoustics Barbara Ann 4 channel amplifier

I'm not stuck on either of those 2 really. One thing I have to keep in mind is my car only has a 70 amp alternator which limits me a bit on what I can run.

Just noticed a pair of Boston Acoustics Rally RC 620 on Ebay. Boston Acoustics Rally RC 620 2 WAY 6 5" CAR Speaker | eBay

Any thoughts on those? I had a BA sub once that **** near blew the trunk lid off my car but I don't know how their component speakers stack up.

I'm starting to think maybe I should just amp up the front speakers and let the HU handle the rears.

I'm not stuck on either of those 2 really. One thing I have to keep in mind is my car only has a 70 amp alternator which limits me a bit on what I can run.
Just noticed a pair of Boston Acoustics Rally RC 620 on Ebay. Boston Acoustics Rally RC 620 2 WAY 6 5" CAR Speaker | eBay

Any thoughts on those? I had a BA sub once that **** near blew the trunk lid off my car but I don't know how their component speakers stack up.

I'm starting to think maybe I should just amp up the front speakers and let the HU handle the rears.
Maybe just do a 5ch amp - PPI 900.5 or something like that. Or a 4 ch and bridge rear channels for the sub. Sub will need to be at 4 ohms. Those look decent, haven't heard them. See if there are any forum reviews on them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.