Need help - $3k system

mkell
10+ year member

STL
Hi guys. I am looking to do a nice SQ setup in my Lexus IS300. I know for sure that I want to do a JL 12w6v2 powered by a JL 500/1. I've heard this in the setup I will be doing (fire into cabin via ski pass) and it is exactly what I want.

It's been a while since I was looking at components and what not, so I was just wondering what's the latest and greatest. Front doors are 6.5" and the rear deck are 6x9s but can fit 5.255".

I want to spend about 3-3.5k total including headunit.

Questions:

1. About how much should I expect to pay for the w6 and 500/1 new?

2. What are some component speakers that I should look at for the front?

3. Components for rear deck or ....?

4. Any deck opinions? Thinking Eclipse AVN5435 for 1000ish on ebay.

5. Amp suggestions.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

instore, around a G for the 12w6v2 and 500/1

perfect for sq

and id get JL's 300/2 and some Dynaudio components http://www.dynaudio.com

deck... Alpine, Pioneer and Eclipse are probably the top 3 around here, which ever has the features you want for the money

forget rear speakers, most dont recommend them esp if going for a sq setup

post pics when its done!!!!

I will be having a shop do the install. Nothing too fancy, so it shouldn't run too much. I guess we can just tack that on at the end after the 3k. I will look into the dynaudio stuff. I've heard good things.

Any other suggestions?

Anyone else?

Seriousl considerg the Dynaudio 250GT series. I am going to listen to them hopefully this weekend.

Are you looking for copious amounts of bass or something to round out the system and play to a respectable volume level? If it is the latter, consider a single amp system built around a good 5 channel amp like the Crossfire VR705D, Eclipse XA5000, Memphis Belle or similar. This is going to save you some real estate in the trunk, save you some $ on wiring, save $ on install and eliminate a possible ground loop and the noise that it generates. Consider the new Eclipse AVN6600 so that you are up to date with all of the mapping info (new mapping discs are available for the AVN5435, add another chunk of $).

Nothing wrong with the single sub approach and firing it through the small pass through. I do lots of vehicles in this fashion. I build a two part box, basically a funnel that sits into the pass through and the box that fits into the top of the funnel. All the output from the sub is now forced directly into the cabin and does not interfere with the rear speakers or rattle the trunk excessively.

Dynaudio makes some great speakers, same with Focal, Boston Acoustics, Eclipse and others. We all hear different and drive different vehicles. Good sound is highly subjective. A bad installer can make a good set of speakers sound like arse. A good installer can make a crappy set of cheezeball deluxe speakers sound really good. Add sound deadener to the doors and make sure you have a good installer.

I spent around $2500 on my system overall with the setup below

Rainbow Profi Kickbass 6.5(love these)

300/4 JL (used) $300

500/1 JL (used) $270

12w6v2 $400

Sub box $150

All that adds up to around $1800

Leaves you plenty still for a HU and rear speakers. For the 12w6v2 the 500/1 is good, but personally, i wouldnt use it for most other subs out there if you are looking for power.

I found a good shop near me that I think I am going to use. They are listed as one of the top 100 installers by mobile electronics mag. Anyone familiar with Treo engineering? It looks like they use alot of their subs in their installs and was wondering if this is something I should look into.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.