Need HDMI Reciever Suggestions and other questions...

rollininstyle04
10+ year member

Im just a n00b
Ok so I am in the process of planning my first HT setup. So far this is what I THINK I am going with:

TV: Panasonic TH-58PX600U

SPEAKERS

Main: B&W 602.5

Center: B&W LCR60 S3

Surround: B&W DM600 S3 (is it worth spending the extra $100 for the 601?)

Sub: SVS PB10-NSD (the 10 should be fine to match up with the rest of the setup as far as output goes, right? Or would it be better to go with the 12? I dont want crazy bass, just something nice and clean to compliment the rest)

Now here is where I need some help. Could someone recommend a GOOD Receiver and DVD Player (preferably the same brand, but thats not necessary). I would like to spend around $800 for the receiver and DVD player. Is that a decent budget for what I am looking for? I dont want to skimp on anything, so if it HAS to be more that is fine. I just want something that will be on par quality wise to everything else.

Also, I need recommendations for a good Universal remote (nothing crazy, but something nice...I was thinking Logitech, but honestly have no idea), as well as a good Powercenter/surge protector (I was looking at Monster's CleanPower, but not sure how intense of one I would need with my setup).

Lastly, wire...could anyone give me a rundown of all the wire I will need to hook all this up. Or at least direct me to a site where I can find that all out. Other then general speaker cables, HDMI cables, etc. is there anything that I wouldn't naturally think of?

TIA for all the help

-Jordan

Now here is where I need some help. Could someone recommend a GOOD Receiver and DVD Player (preferably the same brand, but thats not necessary). I would like to spend around $800 for the receiver and DVD player. Is that a decent budget for what I am looking for? I dont want to skimp on anything, so if it HAS to be more that is fine. I just want something that will be on par quality wise to everything else.
Judging by the rest of the equipment that you have listed, you'll need to spend at least $800 on the reciever alone. You'll want more than just reciever power to get the most out of a set of B&W speakers like that. A pre/processor + amps setup will cost more but give you the best performance. I'd suggest looking into Outlaw Audio's equipment as it has been very well reviewed.

Also, I need recommendations for a good Universal remote (nothing crazy, but something nice...I was thinking Logitech, but honestly have no idea), as well as a good Powercenter/surge protector (I was looking at Monster's CleanPower, but not sure how intense of one I would need with my setup).
You want Monster products with "Clean Power v.3" or higher. I've tested the lower ones and they do nothing. APC now makes conditioners and they seem to work well.

Lastly, wire...could anyone give me a rundown of all the wire I will need to hook all this up. Or at least direct me to a site where I can find that all out. Other then general speaker cables, HDMI cables, etc. is there anything that I wouldn't naturally think of?
You'll need lots of cables. Too early to tell //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

seems like a nice setup

as far as receivers i say the onkyo the one pistonsfan has is good bang for the buck but if you can afford more go for it. i know the denon 2307 does almost everything my 2807 so that can be another option.

as far as dvd player get an oppo

power conditioner well panamax but their pricy. i just use a monster bar and an apc ups

Judging by the rest of the equipment that you have listed, you'll need to spend at least $800 on the reciever alone. You'll want more than just reciever power to get the most out of a set of B&W speakers like that. A pre/processor + amps setup will cost more but give you the best performance. I'd suggest looking into Outlaw Audio's equipment as it has been very well reviewed.
I understand that a pre/processor and amps would be the BEST, but would a 100 watt per channel or so receiver not make the B&Ws sound good? I was looking at the Yamaha RX-V1600 and RX-V1700 as well as the Pioneer and Pioneer Elite receivers. Would those not be good enough?

Honestly I am looking to spend around $3500 for everything other than the TV. The speakers listed above are around $2000. That leaves, $1500 for the receiver, dvd player, wire, power accessories, remote, etc...Is that an ok price-point to be at?

You want Monster products with "Clean Power v.3" or higher. I've tested the lower ones and they do nothing. APC now makes conditioners and they seem to work well.
Ok thanks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You'll need lots of cables. Too early to tell //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Ok, we can figure that all out later

Something like this http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/970.html plus a 5 channel amp. It's DVI but thats just as good as HDMI.
well dvi tends to give more problems then hdmi....

everyone with an hd-dvd player now cant get their dvi connections to work anymore since yesterdays update. and mines bricked so i had to get a new one today //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif but at least now i have an a2 not a bulky a1

also with hdmi the receiver actually gets the audio part of the signal... and depending on the receiver it will use it but not all will. my denon does i think the 2307 and so does pistonfans onkyo

I'd go Yamaha over the Elite stuff. Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, and some Onkyos will have the best internal amps. I have been disappointed with my parent's Elite reciever.
...and in your honest opinion will it still sound good? The setup is for my Dad. He wanted to get a HTIB to go with the 58'' Plasma and I talked him into investing into some good audio to go with a good picture. I just want a GOOD intro HT setup. Something that will sound impressive, doesn't have to be the best out there, just good quality.

Well I agree with the suggestion of the Oppo DVD player. People rave about it and it's dirt cheap. Then you'll have more extra for a reciever. It'll still sound very good.... just not the very best you can get out of the speakers //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Pistonsfan has the Onkyo TXSR604...Circuit City has it on sale now for $450...thats really cheap...

So I guess right now my choices would be:

Marantz SR4001

Marantz SR5001

Onkyo TXSR604

Onkyo TXSR674

Yamaha RX-V1700

Yamaha RX-V1600

Denon AVR-2307

All of those are in the $450-800 price range I believe...which one perfoms the best for the price?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.