need front 6.5 components - 80W per side

yummmy, seas = teh sex, rainbow = teh sex, other companies besides oz, mb, dyna, focal, etc... etc... = not teh sex

I would say the performance comp set is very nice for the money but if u want more band for the buck since u only have an 80 watt rms amp id suggest some rainbow slcs for around 230 from don (6spdcoupe) very good midbass for the power given, tweets very laid back natural sounding and cyrstal clear of course, plus if u buy from don u get a very nice warrenty

just my 2 cents either choice is good but their is a diff in cash, the seas is better, but it costs u for it, slc quite a bit cheaper and still offers very nice perf.

Mike

Went back to the audio shop today, I was really impressed with the HELIX S6 components', and they cost about the same as Lotus Performance series.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3596

Unfortunatley the Lotus Performance were not available for demo.

From what I can tell was that the HELIX S6's were extremely aggressive, but not ear piercing as compared to the Focal polykev's next to them. For the type of music I listen to, the HELIX even outperformed Dynnaudio audio set as well. The CD's I tested with was mainly Asian POP, some vocals (Celine Dion, Al Green, Barry White), nothing that demands too complex of a staging. Dynnaudio performed well, warmer sounding, but slightly muffeled. 165KP's were slightly too bright for my taste.

My only reservation about these speakers is that they are in the price range of Rainbow Germ., Lotus Performance, and some CDT's that I have been considering as well. Should I go out on a limb and purchase a set of speakers with no reputation? Any advice?

id say that germs are slightly aggressive but they are a little laid back. kinda like the dyna audios. but their is no way to beat the cross overs u get with germs it has soooooooo many options to tune, i bet u could easily get the desired sound from germs. plus u also have the option of running a 2 driver 1 tweeter design which gives u 4 drivers/woofers and 2 tweeters in the package which means u could run a driver in a kick and have the tweet in the kick and also have a driver in the door. or a driver in the door and kick and tweet in a pillar or sail.

If it were me id go germs just from the sucess rate they receive from every body not 1 complaint i heard. and these helix are not very well known.

mike

Thanks for the reply Mike. I have about 80w RMS to work with which might be insufficient to work for Rainbow Germs? Dynaudios are very laid back as well, have excellent staging, but they too require 100w+ rms.

I guess I'm looking for a speaker that runs well on 80w RMS, clear, clean vocals, and noticeable midbass.

For now, Focals are out of the runnig. (The 165KP's are too bright for my type of music)

If the World would be perfect, we can all audition Dynaudio, Helix, Rainbow, and Lotus in one location; preferably in an air conditioned room with ice cold beer within arm's reach and supermodels flipping the speaker switches. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.