Need an alarm...should I do it myself?

sumone
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Midwest
Car: 2000 Malibu

My experience with cars: Pretty much just able to install a system; never really dealt with the real electrical-type stuff in the car.

I went to best buy just so I could get some prices, and the lowest priced one I saw was a viper alarm (no remote entry) for 170. Then the guy was like it'll cost me an extra 120 cause of the type of car I have, stuff goes into the radio. But I'm like, what if I have an aftermarket head unit, and he was like it still connects to the wires inside the dash and stuff. Basically I just don't wanna be raped;

People've told me an audio system is nothing to install, while an alarm is hard as hell, and've said I do something wrong installing the alarm that I could end up with an inoperable car. I would feel more comfortable having a REAL professional put it in at a considerable price. The guys at best buy were saying that if I found one for a low price off the internet, they wouldn't be able to install it.

So what do you guys think? As far as a price range, pretty much anything less than 300? Is that reasonable? As far as features; all I need is just an alarm, blinking lights (my horn doesn't work; lemme rephrase, I have a new horn but there's a problem in the steering column that sets it off randomly so they just pulled the fuse). I'm (lol) never gonna hear the alarm; it's just to let other people know.

FOR 300 U COULD GET A a alarm/remote start/keyless entree.....im gettin a prestige in the next couple weekks for like 280 installed...i have to pay an extra 30 for sum module to by pass the anti theft allready on the car.....there r alot of choices out there...go to a small stereo/ alarm shop and talk to them aboutr it..

p.s. where in chi u at

cool, thanks for the response.

the north side in Uptown (by lake shore drive).

know of any shops that you'd recommend? Cause I had a bad experience with this other shop before I started gettin involved in installing audio equipment myself. They also do alarms, but I sure is hell ain't going back there.

FOR 300 U COULD GET A a alarm/remote start/keyless entree.....im gettin a prestige in the next couple weekks for like 280 installed...i have to pay an extra 30 for sum module to by pass the anti theft allready on the car.....there r alot of choices out there...go to a small stereo/ alarm shop and talk to them aboutr it..

p.s. where in chi u at
i've got the the prestige aps-996a (http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=12870&langId=-1)

on my mustang. the one with that as well has remote start, remote windows, keyless entree, alarm, and an LCD remote. i love it. it works very well. but as far as installing it yourself, i wouldn't do it unless you know a lot about those things. i do a lot of stereos, and from looking at the work done on my alarm by a professional installer, i would never attempt doing it myself. and once you get into ignition stuff and things that kill the igntion if the alarm is malfunctioning, i would rather not strand myself in the middle of the hood, or better yet make my car not function at all. let someone who really knows what they are doing hanndle it.

ok, I'm set on having a prof. do it; but what are reasonable prices to buy an alarm & get installed? was that 280 figure above a low number, average, or high? all I'm goin off of is best buy's prices....

ebay,,, has some cheap a$s ones,,,, im going to get one from there...
I tried that, make sure it doesn't come DOA. I've done ebay for all my car audio stuff, however, I would get a professional to install an alarm. You won't pay much more for one with the same features, and you won't spend a week installing the alarm.

would the best route be to:

1. buy cheap & decent off ebay & only pay a shop to put it in, or

2. buy from & pay a shop to put it in

3. go to best buy, buy from them (170), and pay the extra 120 for them to put it in

research what alarm you want, then go to a professional and buy it from him. that way he is putting in a product that he is familiar with and if something goes wrong with it, he will most likely know what it is and how to fix it. another advantage to buying something from a dealer, is the warrenty. i know if you buy something off of ebay that it might have a maufaturers warranty, but then it is just a hassel and you dont want to wait that long to get your car fixed with a broken alarm. many things can go wrong with your car when your alarm is not functioning properly. nothing beats just going back to the guy and saying my alarm is broke and he swaps it out for a brand new one and that is the last you hear of it.

hey....i think your alarm choice and install is very important. I would buy the best alarm you can afford and i would buy it from the shop. Have them install it also. The last thing you want is to have your stuff stolen because have a crappy or no alarm system in your car. Get the pager alarm if you can....it will let you know ASAP when your alarm goes off.

hey sumone, there's a Ultimate Electronics at

5925 N. Illinois St.

Fairview Heights, Illinois 62208

I don't know if that's close or not, but the Alpine system my buddy got from there for like 250 installed is very nice and the installation is top notch. They're also available to adjust the alarma and the sensitivity, I would recommend this. But this was in AZ, should be same over there though.

i was thinken the ebay route////bbbuuuttt

1)$ ranges 120- 160 for the pager/remote starrt/keyless there....(ebay)

2)shops up here will usually charge between 120-150 just to put it in...

so figure just shy of $300

im gunna pay $350....lifetime warrenty bbbuutttt.......

still tryin to figure wich alarm im gunna get but right now im leaning back towards the pager/ remote start...its worth it to me for the peice of mind,i get parronode as hell...

p.s. im tierd and babalin

Keep in mind that most DEI Dealers wont install any alarm that isn't a DEI product. You have to watch buying the ebay stuff, because ALOT of reputable shops (including the one I install at) wont do it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.